June 28

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
WhiteGlovedHowdy

June 28

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Fished a stream south of I90 with my son today started about seven a.m. Water was off color, but very fishable. My son caught fifteen very nice trout and I caught six fish, two over fifteen inches.

The best part of the day was running into brntrout stream side. Great conversation in a great place. It was a treat.

My son was using an orange scud, and pink squirrel. I was using a soft hackle. Nice morning until the heat came on about 12:30 or so we called it quits. Hope you all get out when you can. I'm always grateful when I can fish these streams, and grateful for those that care about them.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

Sounds great. Wet weather and a late spring kept me from getting down there this spring. A big bummer. I love spring fishing in the Driftless Area when the North Woods are still locked in winter. I don't like heat, though...

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

Sounds great. Wet weather and a late spring kept me from getting down there this spring. A big bummer. I love spring fishing in the Driftless Area when the North Woods are still locked in winter. I don't like heat, though...

mjewen

Re: June 28

Post by mjewen »

I also got out today and found pretty stained but fishable water south of I90. I got a later start just after 11am and fished most of the afternoon. I did not run into brntrout or WhiteGlovedHowdy. You could tell the stream I was on had a recent high water event - streamside vegetation was flattened and debris was collected on streamside trees. Water had been way over the banks, at least for the short term. Banksides were not overly muddy and things were dried out, so I'm not sure which of our recent rains caused the high water. Fishing was good despite the poor water conditions. I hiked back quite ways from the access point and was rewarded with good fishing. I caught plenty of nice fish and a couple over 15" and lost one about that size. Bright colored nymphs worked for me. Hopefully we won't get too much over the weekend and the area streams will get a chance to clear up.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Sounds like you all did very well. How many limits or fish for that matter were kept between the four of you?
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

mjewen

Post by mjewen »

I did not keep any.

mjewen

Post by mjewen »

I did not keep any.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

I brought along an arctic creel, but left it in the car. Carrying around dead fish in a bag when it is 90 degrees never really appeals to me. If I caught a few by the car I would keep them, because I could get them on ice right away. Quit before we got back to the car! Too hot.

brntrout

Re:

Post by brntrout »

S.T.Fanatic wrote:Sounds like you all did very well. How many limits or fish for that matter were kept between the four of you?
I hope anglers are starting to become encouraged to keep some trout under 12 inches, especially on streams with good H.I. or streams with 12" to 16" protective slots. Keeping trout populations in balance with food and habitat conditions means healthier trout and better over winter survival. On streams with low trout abundance I would encourage the opposite.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

So out of 50+ fish (assuming here) zero were kept on an stream that has so many trout in it there loosing weight due to lac of food? You guys are all pretty good fisherman. If you actually wanted to keep a limit of fish to due your part to help out the stream that you fish most often you could have done it at the end of your outing in pretty short order.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold