New Spinning Rod Advice

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Cutthroat

New Spinning Rod Advice

Post by Cutthroat »

Most of my stream trout fishing is with a fly rod, but I do occasionally use spinning gear. Last summer I broke my ancient spinning rod while fishing an alpine lake in Wyoming. I am looking to replace it. Any recommendations?

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

How much are you looking to spend?

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I’ve git a St. Croix panfish rod I use for bluegills and crappies, I think it would be great for trout too.

shebs

Post by shebs »

I don't think you can beat an ugly stik. 4 years of hardcore bushwacking on mine and it's still rocking.
I use a 6' L, the 5' UL also works great and will handle anything you'll find in MN short of a steelhead.

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

Coming from a fly fishing background you would more than likely be happy with the suggested Light action rod. I prefer a medium weight but I bet it would feel like a broomstick to you.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

darklake

Post by darklake »

I've put a spinning reel on a short fly rod and that has worked. If you've got a 7 to 8 footer lying around I'd give that a try.

kketchmark

Post by kketchmark »

Here is what I bought. http://www.limitcreek.com/SpinningRods.html
ONE-PIECE
Light Power / Fast Action Spinning Rod
Line: 2-6 pound test Lure: 1/16 to 1/4 ounce
This one-piece LIGHT POWER, FAST ACTION spinning rod is designed specifically for stream trout and crappie/panfishing. This mutli-purpose rod excels at spinner and live bait fishing for trout as well as slip bobbering, jigging plastics or live bait rigging for crappies. A soft tip ensures hook sets on the soft mouths of crappies, yet it is sensitive and response enough for fast-slashing stream trout.

Cutthroat

Re: New Spinning Rod Advice

Post by Cutthroat »

Thanks for the input, folks. I spend a lot of time in gnarly places, so the Ugly Stick might be the way to go. I have a couple of heavy duty ones that I have used for many years on lake trout up to 15 pounds in the canoe country, but didn't realize they make light-action models...