Squirmy Wormy Question

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Squirmy Wormy Question

Post by brntrout »

For those of you who have been fishing this pattern my question is, how well does this pattern hold up, compared to the vernile chenille version? JRS, you been fishing this pattern a lot, what's your opinion?

jrs

Re: Squirmy Wormy Question

Post by jrs »

The jury is still out for me.

I started tying and fishing it last year and have fished it hard this year.

I think I've gotten past my tying issues. Dubbing an underbody and then tying the material to the hook (rather than wrapping the material) helps a lot. Using a thread like UTC that you can untwist and flatten also helps. Thanks to trouts for those suggestions.

But I'm still not entirely happy with durability and fishability. My head's and tails get torn off more than I'd like. My tails also tend to get wrapped around the trailer tippet (which then tears the tail). They aren't coming apart after a couple fish, but in a hard day of use, I'll have a couple worms that are torn up. And, they do twist my tippet even with the head fairly short (1/2" or less).

But they catch a lot of fish, so when they get torn up I tie on a new one on and take the old one home for "refurbishing".

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

Ive spent a whole day, with plenty of hooked fish, without any problems. Do you wrap in any wire to the shank?

trouts

Post by trouts »

They definitely aren’t a very durable pattern, but I think they are well worth having in one’s box. I fish barbless hooks most of the time, but needing to use hemostats will tear up this pattern faster than almost anything. I’ve considered trying to wrap the material around the hook like the Vladi condom worm pattern, but have yet to try this. The most durable realistic worm pattern I have fished is the Vladi pattern mentioned above. Trying to explain to your wife why you ordered the necessary materials while keeping a straight face is another story :lol:

jrs

Post by jrs »

FlyFisherJoe wrote:Ive spent a whole day, with plenty of hooked fish, without any problems. Do you wrap in any wire to the shank?
I use a tungsten bead, but no wire.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

jrs wrote:My tails also tend to get wrapped around the trailer tippet (which then tears the tail).
I rarely ever have that problem because I have the larger fly tied on last. My leader/tippet also casts much better having the larger fly tied on last. For me I've had the best luck using the inline attachment method of tying two flies on to my tippet. I've tried using the dropper tag method but if your main goal is to get tangled up that method fits the bill well. I think I miss less fish using the inline attachment method VS the dropper tag line method too.

TaG

Re:

Post by TaG »

I rarely ever have that problem because I have the larger fly tied on last. My leader/tippet also casts much better having the larger fly tied on last. For me I've had the best luck using the inline attachment method of tying two flies on to my tippet. I've tried using the dropper tag method but if your main goal is to get tangled up that method fits the bill well. I think I miss less fish using the inline attachment method VS the dropper tag line method too.[/quote]

Stupid question
What do mean by “in line method”? Are you referring to tieing the second fly on to the bend if the lead fly hook?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

TaG wrote: Stupid question
What do mean by “in line method”? Are you referring to tieing the second fly on to the bend if the lead fly hook?
If your looking for answers, asking questions is a sign of intelligence, so that is not a stupid question. And yes, the inline method of attachment is tying an additional tippet section to the bend of the first fly, then adding the second fly. I know some people think the dropper tag method is better, but I've tried it and I still like the inline method better. Not too mention, you don't get all that line twisting and tangles you get using the dropper system. I'm not saying don't try to use the dropper system, I'm just saying its not for me personally!

The inline method is probably by far the one used the most by guides out west, and for good reason. How would you like to guide some novice fly anglers who really can't cast worth a hoot to begin with, then make your beginner clients cast two flies tied on using the dropper system? You woulds spend 90% of your time untangling the mess they create about every other cast.
Last edited by brntrout on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TaG

Post by TaG »

Thanks
That is actually the way I fish a tandem rig but never heard it referred to as in line. My forays with a dropper has resulted in a twisted mess.
I appreciate all the knowledge shared on this site!
TaG

swandog

Post by swandog »

They straight up break all the time after a few fish but they work great in the spring. If mine get tore up I just save the hook and tie another because they are easy and quick to throw together.