Thoughts on Driftless Streamer Fishing

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
jrs

Re: Thoughts on Driftless Streamer Fishing

Post by jrs »

On the other hand, I've heard that larger hook point up streamers can "brain" and kill more fish. I think this is mainly with large, 3"-5", articulated streamers.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

jrs wrote:On the other hand, I've heard that larger hook point up streamers can "brain" and kill more fish. I think this is mainly with large, 3"-5", articulated streamers.

Its possible, I guess, but I've fished some "very big" streamers on 4/0 nooks and never brained one trout I remember! I do think you might be right about the potential for articulating streamers to cause that problem.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I have several streamer patterns I fish that have the hook point up and never had any issues “braining” a fish. I certainly get how one would think this would be easy to happen, but I have yet to see it. I feel I have a better hook up percentage with hook up streamers and nymphs. Good friend of mine completely disagrees with this, but that’s half the fun about fishing debates :lol:

I carry two rods quite often, but I’m usually dry fly fishing as option 1 and the secondary rod is setup for streamers. I just leave the streamer rod along the bank and pick it up before I walk up to the next pool. Don’t think I’d carry two rods if my primary focus was streamer fishing since you tend to cover water much faster.

KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam »

jrs wrote:For any of you that carry two rods -- one for nymphs & dries and a second for streamers -- how do you carry the 2nd rod?

I assume you keep the rod strung up and rigged. Do you use one the gizmos on the market or some other method to carry it on your person? Or do you leave it on the bank while fishing and come back for it periodically? Or do you hire a caddy? This seems particularly problematic when you want cover some water.

Sometimes I carry a 6 wt for streamer fishing... when I do, I usually just suspend it in a tree to lessen the chance that someone will step on it.

So, if you ever come across a st croix 6 wt with a big streamer on it, please leave it in the tree. Thanks! :D

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

I have a hard enough time finding a beer that I've left on the banks when fishing, I can't imagine trying keep track of another rod.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Re:

Post by brntrout »

TFO5wt wrote:I have a hard enough time finding a beer that I've left on the banks when fishing, I can't imagine trying keep track of another rod.
I have carried two rods along streams fishing a fair number of times. While it is nice to have two different sets up ready go, its always in the back of my mind not to forget the one I set down to fish the other. Trying to carry the extra rod on your back in pack is not for me, I do not like carrying anything extra as it feels overly cumbersome to me. I have also on a number of occasions forgot one of the rods I left on the bank and had to walk a LONG ways back to get the rod . That usually happens when you get back to your car and start to put your gear away, and then you notice there is TWO ROD CASES not one in the car, of course, your immediate reaction is, oh sh-t, i forgot a rod somewhere on a bank downstream. Usually that happens after spending a long day on the stream fishing and your tired, and now your thinking i wonder how far downstream I left the rod and how long and how far am I going to have to walk to retrieve it. Not to mention, your tired in the first place, but equipment costs a lot of money so there is no choice you have to go get the rod. So far, I have never lost a rod, but I always tell myself its a pain in the butt carrying two rods and maybe I should just forget about doing it ever again! Its extremely rare I do it now days, that's for sure!