Spring Hatches

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Spring Hatches

Post by brntrout »

Boy, with this continued goofy weather its getting almost impossible to have a clue as to when the caddis or even the Dark Hendrickson's will hatch. I will venture a guess on the cadiss hatch and just say its probably going be closer to May 1st than April 25th. The DH hatch usually occurs when stream temperatures reach 52 to 54 degrees normally. In most years that means the hatch would happen between April 15th and April 22nd approximately. I hope the DH hatch doesn't get messed up because crappy stream conditions, as many on this board like to fish that hatch?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

The good news, both the DH and Caddis hatches will happen. The bad news, the weather and stream conditions will likely mess with decent fishing conditions and the emergence of both species. That will be especially true if we get the 3 to 7 inches of snow now predicted for wed. (4-18).

Normally, Dark Hendrickson's begin emergence in the time frame we are in right now. That means DH nymph's are mostly likely at, or almost at, full maturity and are waiting for stream temperatures to reach the 52 to 54 degree mark so emergence can begin. The problem, its likely to happen when it warms up towards the end of this week. If that happens DH's will be emerging under high dirty water run off conditions making fishing the hatch successfully impossible. And if that doesn't happen, DH emergence dates could be pushed back making the hatch more concentrated an of shorter duration when stream condition finally do return to normal.

The same scenario could be true for the caddis hatches as well. With the weather and stream condition variables we have at present, I would think there is a strong possibility the caddis hatch will be later than the April 25th average, and may happen closer to May 1st approximately. If that happens, fishing the hatch could still be awesome if stream conditions are good, but the hatch could end up being much shorter in duration.

Hopefully, the scenario's I laid out end up being just BS! I really want to fish some decent dry fly hatches for a change just like everyone else?

winonaflyfactory

Post by winonaflyfactory »

Winona is now predicted to get between 5-8inches...I'm a fan of winter but this has worn thin even for me.

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

Looking at my fishing notes from year's past, I have hit Dark Hendricksons from March 30 to April 28. I am not anticipating much for stellar DH hatches with the impending Wednesday snow storm compounded with already has to melt. I think caddis will be be fine, in my humble opinion.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I have hit the Dark Hendrickson hatch as early as March 23 (one time) but based on my experience the average time for them to start emerging on SE streams is approximately April 15th to the 22nd. On the other hand, I heard some people ran into that hatch in early May last year, which is surprising to me. The DH hatch is only good on a handful streams now days anyway so it makes it doubly hard to hit it just right!

The caddis will come off, but is it going to happen under high dirty water conditions or even under cold weather conditions with below average stream temperatures? Last year on a popular stream South of I- 90 the caddis came off in waves like a blizzard snow storm, unfortunately the stream was covered with them, but the stream was so dirty there were no risers at all! I hope we don't get that scenario again? :(