Hay Creek

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Blackdog1101

Hay Creek

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I fished Hay Creek yesterday afternoon, and encountered several “No Trespassing” signs on 320th Street. This has always had easements as long as I can remember, and there’s the big hiking/horse trail as well. Does anyone know if something has changed here? Fishing started out good, but slowed down late in the afternoon as the water got dirty. Saw a few midges but no fish were rising.

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser »

You might want to contact Lake City DNR with specific sign locations for their follow-up. Stream easements are generally 66 feet each side of the stream's centerline, but the rest of the landowner's property is private and can be posted. Also, I am not sure how wide the 320th Street road easement is - I have usually parked just off 320th on the downstream side and walked up to the bridge to start fishing. (The landowner downstream of the 320th Street bridge has been friendly in our past conversations.) An awful lot of anglers "wander" outside of the stream easement and cut through the woods to reach Hay Creek - this might be the reason for signage.

Similar inability of anglers to stay in the easement has led to friendlier signage on lower Trout Run as well..

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

The thing that threw me off the most was that the head of the hiking trail was blocked off by stumps and a no trespassing sign. I’ll check with Lake City DNR.

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser »

Any new info on the signage/blockage? Just curious...