Group apathy

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
harris

Post by harris »

I used to like when our chapter did stile projects, stream cleanups, and handicap access projects, but over the years HI became the main objective. It isn't my thing, but I'm not going to quit TU because of it. I think TU is still an asset to us trout fisherman.

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

Coincidentally, John L. was at the film fest. You could have saved the emails and talked to him in person! That's why these events have value. It's clear all attempts to nudge this whole discussion toward gratitude have been unsuccessful.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

harris wrote:I used to like when our chapter did stile projects, stream cleanups, and handicap access projects,
You should voice your concerns to HTU leadership as they are suppose to be the ones who set the agenda for chapter involvement in projects such as you mentioned?
Your complaining about your dissatisfaction with TU to the wrong people again.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:It's clear all attempts to nudge this whole discussion toward gratitude have been unsuccessful.
If you haven't noticed, you seem to be the only person 100% happy with TU in this discussion? Even harris who started this discussion complains every time he posts, then wants people to join up, evidently he's not in sales?

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

It's clear all attempts to nudge this whole discussion toward gratitude have been unsuccessful.
Gratitude for?

I think this thread is more about what's wrong with the state of the state and how to get membership numbers to move forward. Call it an airing of grievances, if you will, but clearly something is not right that there is a decline in those who want to be involved. Agreed?

So, how does TU get its members back, and how does it get new members to join?

harris

Re: Group apathy

Post by harris »

brntrout wrote:
WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:It's clear all attempts to nudge this whole discussion toward gratitude have been unsuccessful.
If you haven't noticed, you seem to be the only person 100% happy with TU in this discussion? Even harris who started this discussion complains every time he posts, then wants people to join up, evidently he's not in sales?
You're reading me all wrong! Prefering they went in different directions at times doesn't mean I don't like what they're doing. I understand that different people have different agendas. TU is no different than any group I've been in. To quit and no longer have anything to do with them would be copping out. It's like the little kid who takes his ball and goes home because he doesn't't like the rules. If I have any complaints, it's with people like that.

TFO5wt

Re:

Post by TFO5wt »

High Stick wrote:
It's clear all attempts to nudge this whole discussion toward gratitude have been unsuccessful.
So, how does TU get its members back, and how does it get new members to join?
By not doing sh$tty HI projects with methods developed for watersheds in Colorado not SE MN, actually listening to concerns about using these methods and not just claiming those who voice these concerns are just bashing a volunteer organization, and lastly not just focusing on miles of stream improvements done each year. That would be a start.

(I pay my dues each year)
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

harris wrote: You're reading me all wrong!

I doubt it!
harris wrote:Prefering they went in different directions at times doesn't mean I don't like what they're doing.

Whats that even mean? You don't like the direction their going, but you don't mind what their doing? Sounds like double talk to me.

Also, it hardly makes HTU or TU look good in the eyes of many people when they "kick somebody out "(Dave H) of the chapter simply because they voiced their opinion in opposition to what they feel is bad habitat work being done! It appears many members & ex members feel entirely different than you, as they do not like the direction HTU is headed in, apparently! If that wasn't the case they would still be involved with the chapter, wouldn't they?

WhiteGlovedHowdy

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy »

By my latest count, it is gratefulness 0 ungratefulness 2. I suppose generosity and hope are out of the question.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

There is always hope, but it appears most people think a lot would have to change for that to happen? I think your count is off, unless you're saying you changed your mind about TU? BTW your the only one counting. With most people generosity is usually only extended to those who truly deserve it!

FYI, long lived TU chapters go through periods of decline in member involvement and membership all the time, its nothing new. Most TU chapters in MN (including HTU) have gone through this same chapter evolution process many times. In most cases it takes a few "die hard individuals" willing to step to the plate and take on the key leadership roles and responsibilities in order for a chapter to become revitalized. Of course, if there is other problems going on besides just leadership burnout then it makes it much more difficult to revitalize a chapter?

There you go WGH and harris here's your chance to step to the plate and make a real difference? You know, quit talking the talk, and start walking the walk?