Group apathy

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
harris

Group apathy

Post by harris »

The TU film festival last Saturdat night was extremely good and well worth going to, but I noticed a lot of former active members and trout fisherman I see and talk to on the stream disheartedly absent. I'm afraid our voices on issues affecting the quality of our streams and, therefore, the fishery will be ineffective if we don't stand together as a group. We may have some issues regarding our local TU chapter, but not belonging and supporting it is like "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak. In this day and age, more than ever, we need a united voice in St Paul and Washington in order to protect our fragile resources from those who are apathetic about our environment. Hopefully, those who do not belong to TU or MTA will at least join, and, even if they don't want to be active, their voice will somewhat be heard in the numbers of members represented by these organizations. I've been a member of TU for 40+ years and see today a real danger of it becoming nonexistent. That would not be good for us and future generations who enjoy trout fishing.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

When people are satisfied with a product they continue to buy more, when their dissatisfied, they quit buying that product! :( The problem does not lie with the membership!

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I rejoined TU this year after several years of non-membership. I am not entirely pleased with everything TU does, but they are doing more good than not.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Blackdog1101 wrote:I am not entirely pleased with everything TU does, but they are doing more good than not.
That is not exactly a shinning endorsement! :(

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

No, but I think it’s important that we are counted as supporting better trout habitat. TU is really the only organization that has enough muscle to be heard by legislators and the DNR.

harris

Re:

Post by harris »

brntrout wrote:When people are satisfied with a product they continue to buy more, when their dissatisfied, they quit buying that product! :( The problem does not lie with the membership!
The membership is the product. Of course, when you have members with differing views as to what the organization should be doing you're not always going to have it your way. All you have to do is become active and voice your opinion. Every organization I've ever been a part of is tickled pink to have memebers that will take a leadership roll. Just what is it you're dissatified with? Is it the the "Trout in the Classroom" program, the "Take a Veteran Fishing" event, the highway cleanup, the stream improvement projects? Surely you can find something you like about TU.

brntrout

Re: Re:

Post by brntrout »

harris wrote:
brntrout wrote:When people are satisfied with a product they continue to buy more, when their dissatisfied, they quit buying that product! :( The problem does not lie with the membership!
The membership is the product. Of course, when you have members with differing views as to what the organization should be doing you're not always going to have it your way. All you have to do is become active and voice your opinion. Every organization I've ever been a part of is tickled pink to have memebers that will take a leadership roll. Just what is it you're dissatified with? Is it the the "Trout in the Classroom" program, the "Take a Veteran Fishing" event, the highway cleanup, the stream improvement projects? Surely you can find something you like about TU.
The product is the agenda put forth by TU leadership at local, state and national levels. If the leadership was doing their job you would not be talking about poor turn outs at events or wavering support at the local or state levels ? The only bang for the buck TU really provides, NOW, is its drive to protect cold clean water! There you go that's something!

I think 40 years of TU membership, with just about all of it at the leadership level were enough for me.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Blackdog1101 wrote:No, but I think it’s important that we are counted as supporting better trout habitat.
I think "some" of the work in the past was iffy, but currently stream work is still evolving and may be going in the right direction, "we will see!"

jrs

Re: Group apathy

Post by jrs »

Not really sure what your complaint is. A lot of the forum members, myself included, have been TU members and supporters for many years; been board members or otherwise active in their local chapters; and contributed many hours and significant money over the years.

No, I don't agree with everything on the agenda, particularly *some* of the HI, but I agree with most of the agenda and it is the best bet for supporting cold water fisheries conservation.

I'm not a big fan of large "social" events like the Expo, film fest, or the old banquet. I realize they are important fund raisers for TU and I don't object, but they aren't my thing. I don't think my lack of attendance at these events should be interpreted as a lack of support for TU.

On the other hand, I very much enjoy HI work days and on stream summer meetings -- both of which seem to have fallen by the way side. For example, I see the KiapTUWish chapter out clearing box elders and roasting weiners lately and wish we had more opportunities like that down here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

TFO5wt

Re:

Post by TFO5wt »

brntrout wrote:
Blackdog1101 wrote:No, but I think it’s important that we are counted as supporting better trout habitat.
I think "some" of the work in the past was iffy, but currently stream work is still evolving and may be going in the right direction, "we will see!"
By the right direction do you mean south down the Mississippi after a high water event? :D
Simply put, people fish because it's fun