Long Rod Options for Nymphing

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
brntrout

Long Rod Options for Nymphing

Post by brntrout »

FYI, if you're considering buying a nymph rod greater than 10 ft. I have compiled a list of makes, models and pricing for most of the popular makes. This should make your search much easier. All rods are 4 piece rods to my knowledge. Keep in mind some models can have either up locking or down locking reels seats. For more detailed Information you will have to visit the manufactures web site.

Douglas Sky - The Sky is top the line model priced at $695
10 - 2 wt.
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
11 - 3 wt.
11 - 4 wt.

Douglas DXF - The DXF is a mid range model priced at $395
10 - 2 wt.
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
11 - 3 wt.
11 - 4 wt.

G _ Loomis NRX Nymph - The NRX Nymph is the top of line model priced at $785
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.

Fenwick AETOS - The AETOS is the top of the line model priced at $169
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Hardy Zephrus Freshwater - The Zephrus is the top of the line model priced at $769
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Loop Goran Andersson - The Loop Goran Andersson is the top of the line model priced at $995
11 - 3 wt.

Mystic M Series - The M Series is the top of the line model priced at $499
10' - 3" 3 wt.
10' - 3" 4 wt.

Sage Pulse - The Pulse is a mid range model priced at $450
10 - 3 wt.

Sage ESN - The ESN is the top of the line model priced at $899
10 - 2 wt.
10 - 3 wt.
10'- 6" 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.

Redington Hydrogen - The Hydrogen is the top of the line model priced at $299
10 - 3 wt.
11 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.

Scott Radiant - The Radiant is the top of the line model priced at $795
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

St. Croix High Stick Drifter - The High Stick Drifter is the top of the line model priced at $460
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Thomas & Thomas Avantt - is the upper end model priced at $825
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Thomas & Thomas Contact - The Contact is the other high end model priced at $795
10' - 2" 2wt.
10'- 8" 3 wt.
10'- 8" 4 wt.
11'- 3" 3 wt.

Winston Boron IIIX - is a high end model priced at $845
10 - 4 wt.

Winston Boron IIIX Super 10 - The Super 10 is the other high end model priced at $845
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Echo Shadow II - The Shadow is the top of line model priced at $249
10 - 2 wt.
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.

Cortland Competition MKII Nymph - The MKII Nymph is the top of line model priced at $675
10 - 2 wt.
11 - 2 wt.
10.5 - 3 wt.
11 - 3 wt.

Cortland Competition - The Competition is the mid range model priced at $249
10.5 - 3 wt
10.5 - 4 wt.

TFO BVK - The BVK is the mid range model priced at $249
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

TFO Drift - The Drift is the top of line model priced at $399.95
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 3 wt. 5 pc
11 - 3 wt. 5 pc
12' - 2" 3 wt. 6 pc

Moonshine Rod Company Drifter - The Drifter is the lowest priced model at $199
10 - 5 wt.

Moonshine Rod Company Epiphany - The Epiphany is the main Euro Nymph model priced at $225
10 - 2 wt.
10.5 - 3 wt.

Monnshine Rod Company Midnight Special - The Midnight Special is the top of price range model at $299
10 - 4 wt.

Orvis Recon - The Recon is a mid range priced model at $429
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.

Syndicate P2 Rroline Pro series - The P2 Proline Series is a mid range priced model at $299 to $324
10 - 2-wt
11 - 2 wt.
10 - 3 wt.
11 - 3 wt,
10 - 4 wt.

Syndicate Aquos Series - The Aquos Series is a higher end priced model at $399
10 - 5 wt.

Cabela's CZN - The CZN is a lower end priced model at $199
10 - 3 wt.
10 - 4 wt.
10 - 5 wt.
11 - 4 wt.

Hanak Nymph rods come in a wide variety of size and models to find out more check out their web page. http://www.hanak.eu/en/brand-hanak-comp ... shing-rods
Last edited by brntrout on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dpnoll

Post by dpnoll »

As an option you might want to look at a Tenkara rod made specifically for nymphing.

http://www.riverworkscompany.com/

jrs

Re: Long Rod Nymphing Options

Post by jrs »

This space has really been growing.

I hadn't heard of Moonshine, but they sound interesting -- good price, warranty, and US made.

TFO also has a new model, Drift, which has been getting some attention for innovative features.

A few others ...
Orvis Recon
Cabela's CZN
Hook & Hackle Xi (blank or kit)
Syndicate
Hanak (European company, but available in US)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I'm sure i still missed a few brands but i think the majority are covered. The makes and models I listed are all 10 ft or longer and for lines weights 2 to 5 which I think is the most useful for trout angling. I'm not going to list blanks as that would be more work than I want to do.

This little undertaking turned out to be more work than i thought it would be, oh well!

FYI, I do see Dakota Anglers & Outfitters does carry both Syndicate and Hanak rods!

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

After compiling this list I'm getting the URGE to buy a new nymph rod myself, maybe a 11 footer.

Added: I just bought a Syndicate 11 ft. 2 Weight Pipeline Pro . This should be a very interesting rod to fish? I'll provide a rod review later this spring! ;)

jrs

Re: Long Rod Options for Nymphing

Post by jrs »

brntrout wrote:After compiling this list I'm getting the URGE to buy a new nymph rod myself, maybe a 11 footer.

Added: I just bought a Syndicate 11 ft. 2 Weight Pipeline Pro . This should be a very interesting rod to fish? I'll provide a rod review later this spring! ;)
Just curious what led you to pull the trigger on the Syndicate vs. one of the other rods on the list?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Three things made me pull the trigger on the Syndicate P2 Pipeline Pro: 1. Reviews for the Syndicate P2 Pipeline Pro rods are good to excellent. 2. I wanted a 11 ft -2 wt rod and there are only two options available the Cortland MKII and the Syndicate P2 Pipeline Pro. 3. Based on reviews and price the Syndicate at $324 VS the Cortland MKII at $675 the Syndicate P2 Pipeline Pro came out the winner for me! Only time (testing) will tell if this is a wise rod choice, we will see?

JRS What have you heard about Rio's Euro Nymph fly line?

ADDED: Or maybe it doesn't make a difference what line you use(within reason) since the fly line is almost never on the water most of the time anyway?

jrs

Re: Long Rod Options for Nymphing

Post by jrs »

I haven't used a euro nymph line. However my understanding is that they are basically very small diameter lines to reduce "sag". The idea is to have a very low mass line from flies all the way to reel. In theory, the low mass allows you to have a tight line without line sag pulling flies across current (resulting in better drift and better strike detection). Prior to the introduction of the euro nymph lines (and even since then), people use regular small diameter fly lines or straight mono (eg, 20# Maxima). See https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the- ... ine-sucks/ if you want more detail.

I tried the mono approach, but didn't really like the way it cast even with just a few feet of line out of the tip. So now I just use a leader of about 10' with a bright sighter and a long tippet (5' or more) -- pretty similar at least conceptually to your hot butt leader. I'll typically have the leader plus 5' or so of fly line out of the tip but the fly line rarely touchs the water.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

jrs wrote:I haven't used a euro nymph line. However my understanding is that they are basically very small diameter lines to reduce "sag". The idea is to have a very low mass line from flies all the way to reel. In theory, the low mass allows you to have a tight line without line sag pulling flies across current (resulting in better drift and better strike detection). Prior to the introduction of the euro nymph lines (and even since then), people use regular small diameter fly lines or straight mono (eg, 20# Maxima). See https://troutbitten.com/2016/02/03/the- ... ine-sucks/ if you want more detail.
That is kind of what I thought, and is the reason I bought the 11' - 2 wt. Maybe I'll try a regular 2 wt. line and if that doesn't work i can put a 1 wt. line on it, as I have a few extra's. I also have a Grey's 10' - 2 wt that use all the time, I "really like" that rod for nymph fishing. The extra reach of my new 11 footer should really be even more of an improvement over my 10' Grey's rod which I think is pretty darn good.
jrs wrote:I tried the mono approach, but didn't really like the way it cast even with just a few feet of line out of the tip. So now I just use a leader of about 10' with a bright sighter and a long tippet (5' or more) -- pretty similar at least conceptually to your hot butt leader. I'll typically have the leader plus 5' or so of fly line out of the tip but the fly line rarely touchs the water.
I'm with you on the mono, i'm pretty sure it would not be for me either. As far as leaders, I have always normally fished a 10 to 12 foot leader anyway.( sometimes longer) I usually have a 4 to 6 foot tippet section, so it is pretty much the way i have always nymph fished with longer leaders. I do plan on incorporating a sighter section to my leaders, as there is no way it won't help I'm sure.

I plan to fish a lot more with 6x tippets this year as finer diameter tippets have a lot less resistance to sinking than thicker diameter tippets.

JRS, thanks for replying back you confirmed a lot things i was wondering about!

Maybe I'll see you on stream this year and you can try out my 11 footer? ;)

trouts

Post by trouts »

I have 2 11 footers and think they make a significant difference over a 10 footer. They don’t have quite the versatility of say a 10’ 4wt, but that’s not what you are getting a long nymphing rod for anyways.

I fished with a regular DT2 line to start before I got a prototype Czech nymphing line back around 5 years ago. I’m 99% sure it was a Rio line but they didn’t mention who made it at the time. It is basically just a slightly tapered double taper line with a texture to it. I just thought it looked like a running line at first, but the slight texture made a big difference. The fact that it barely had any taper at all and this texture kept the fly line itself from sliding back through the guides when you lifted the rod tip up. This was the only thing that made using a regular fly line frustrating. The thinner diameter also helps with sag as mentioned earlier. I’m not sure how it compares to what Rio and others make now for Czech nymphing lines. I know a lot has changed since I first got it as far as rules for what individules can us for international competitions. I also didn’t like using just mono. Tried it a few times and just couldn’t get used to it.