Fly Line Recommendations

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Blackdog1101

Fly Line Recommendations

Post by Blackdog1101 »

I’m going to get a new line for my 3 wt rod. I prefer double taper. What lines do you like?

jrs

Re: Fly Line Recommendations

Post by jrs »

Blackdog1101 wrote:I’m going to get a new line for my 3 wt rod. I prefer double taper. What lines do you like?
I like the Hook & Hackle lines. In my experience they perform and last as well as the big brand name lines. Periodically, they are on sale for $10 off.
http://store.hookhack.com/mobile/HH-Dou ... s/products

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

What is the action of this rod?

trouts

Post by trouts »

FlyFisherJoe wrote:What is the action of this rod?
I was thinking the same thing. Knowing what rod it is for would really help.

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 »

Ah, good question. It’s a medium action TFO Finesse 8’9” 3 wt rod. The line I have now has some wear, so was wanting to replace it. I like double taper since I can reverse the line after one side shows wear.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I pretty much fish faster action rods most of the time and always use DT lines. That is especially true when fishing in SE MN where most of our streams are really not that large. Casting beyond 30 feet in SE MN not including the leader is rare, and not needed if you actually want to control your drift particularly nymph fishing. If your dry fly fishing a DT line is usually a better choice as well. ( more delicate presentation) The WF lines really comes into its own past 40 feet not including leader. For all around fly fishing in IMO DT lines are better for most circumstances especially on our smaller streams. Large rivers and out west fishing maybe a WF is better.

I found this information on the differences between WF VS DT lines. Check it out: http://www.orvis.com/which-fly-line-is- ... ht-forward

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Blackdog, that's another good reason to use DT lines as you actually get two lines in one for the same money. That is a big deal now days as fly line prices are through the roof!(way over priced) IMO the DT lines are by far a better bang for the buck!

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

I use Rio Lightline on my 2 weight which I am very impressed with. Only takeaway I could see one having is the color. If you rely on the contrast of the fly line in the water than it might be difficult as the color is brown. But then again if you’re fishing double tapered you could just flip the line around.

trouts

Post by trouts »

I fish almost exclusively double taper lines for the same reasons brntrout was mentioning. We just don’t need to cast 60’ in the driftless and many WF lines have a long front taper many of us will never get out the rod tip. If you have a WF line with a 30’ head, it often has an almost identical taper to the DT line. It is a shame most of the options we have are all WF lines these days.

My current favorite DT lines are made by 406 Fly Lines. These are made by SA for 406 and are much thinner than most lines made today. A DT4 takes up the same space a standard DT3 from other companies. Have been using these for the last several years in a DT3 and DT4. When they wear out they will be replaced with the same line.

Cartland would be my next choice. I have always had good luck with their 444 Peach and Sylk lines. Cartland lines tend to be a bit tougher in my experience and I typically get an extra season out of them compared to others.

Airflo makes the Superdri in a DT3. The one I have is a good line, just don’t like how thick it is compared to the 406. It’s a bit in the heavy side so that might influence your decision one way or the other.

Rio has several options in a DT. I just seem to wear their lines out faster than anyone else on the market. I really like how they cast, but have a hard time paying almost $100 on a line I might only get 1/2 a season out of before it’s shot.

For more budget priced lines the Hook and Hackle lines are good. I have 3 of them in various weights, but don’t use them much because I have other lines that fit various rods better.

My favorite choice in the $30 range are the Barrio lines. https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-mallard-wf.html Free shipping and only takes a few weeks to ship over the pond. I have several Barrio lines and have no complaints.

FlyFisherJoe

Post by FlyFisherJoe »

1/2 a season of use on Rio lines? :shock: