New Rod- Ideas?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
winonaflyfactory

Re: New Rod- Ideas?

Post by winonaflyfactory »

I have and will likely always use my 8'6" 3wt. Love it, chucks streamers, dry/dropper rigs, double nymphs and dries all with little effort.

That said I am horribly jealous of that 10' 2wt Jrs has. I've been looking for the right deal on a 2wt for some time. When I find it I will love it for hoppers, stimulators and days fishing dry flies. Sorry I need to wipe the drool off my phone now.

the winonaflyfactory
www.winonaflyfactory.com

winonaflyfactory

Re: New Rod- Ideas?

Post by winonaflyfactory »

I should have also mentioned that I overweight my 3wt rod with 4wt line. It's a medium/fast and I love this set up. Been fishing it over weighted for a number of years now.

the winonaflyfactory
www.winonaflyfactory.com

trouts

Post by trouts »

I prefer a slower action rod, but everyone is different. I fish several glass rods that most would consider quite slow in action. The 8' 3wt Winston WT is hard to beat. One of my go to rods for around here. I have several 3 weights if you would want to meet up sometime to test cast them. You never know until you cast several rods. Like everything else we all like different things, so it's best to try first before you buy.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt »

Again fellas, thanks for the input.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

TFO5wt

Re:

Post by TFO5wt »

trouts wrote:I prefer a slower action rod, but everyone is different. I fish several glass rods that most would consider quite slow in action. The 8' 3wt Winston WT is hard to beat. One of my go to rods for around here. I have several 3 weights if you would want to meet up sometime to test cast them. You never know until you cast several rods. Like everything else we all like different things, so it's best to try first before you buy.
That's a great offer. Are you in the city?

trouts

Post by trouts »

Yeah, I live in south Minnapolis.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

TFO if your considering a slow action rod, try it out for a few days if possible, maybe a friend has that model so you can try it out on the stream. Most anglers who are used to fishing fast action rods have a very hard time adjusting to a slow action rod. But if your going from fast to medium action then its not that bad of a jump in rod action.

TFO5wt

Re:

Post by TFO5wt »

trouts wrote:Yeah, I live in south Minnapolis.
I just sent you PM

TFO5wt

Re:

Post by TFO5wt »

brntrout wrote:TFO if your considering a slow action rod, try it out for a few days if possible, maybe a friend has that model so you can try it out on the stream. Most anglers who are used to fishing fast action rods have a very hard time adjusting to a slow action rod. But if your going from fast to medium action then its not that bad of a jump in rod action.
Thanks Tom. That's definitely a concern.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Please, keep in mind the slower the action of the rod the more the rod has to flex to load which means your casting loop will automatically be more open. It also means the rod probably will "not" be capable of generating enough line speed to cast decent into fair winds. Generally speaking the slower the rod action the less capable it will be casting into wind. Since slower rods cast a more open loop it means you will also have a tougher time casting into tight places, like under tree limbs.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR ROD CHOICE!

tom