Looking for opinion on Echo

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE
Randy
Site Admin

Looking for opinion on Echo

Post by Randy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:06 am

...specifically, the Echo Shadow 2. Looking to pick up a longer rod, 10-11' and in a 2wt. Wondering if any of you have experience with the Echo line of rods and what you think of it. Thanks!

brntrout

Re: Looking for opinion on Echo

Post by brntrout » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 am

I own an Echo streamer rod and ts a great rod. I have yet to cast any Echo rod that IMO isn't a nice casting rod. I believe JRS has a 10'' Echo Shadow rod, maybe he can chime in?

ADDED: I bought a Syndicate 11 ft. 2 Weight Pipeline Pro Fly Rod ($324) last spring that is very light for its length and I think it casts and fishes very well. I also put a Rio Euro Nymph line ($59) on it which IMO works extremely well for its intend purpose. The line is a DT line which is great because you get twice the use out of it!

Really the choices for Long rods is almost endless now days. There is an older post on this topic on this board listing the majority of long rods out there. If you haven't checked that out it might give you more rod choices to choose from?

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:09 pm

All this discussion about rods/fishing is starting to get me fired up. I think I better get my rods and lines cleaned up and some Euro nymph's tied up and get out there! :D

jrs

Post by jrs » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:40 pm

I bought an Echo Shadow II 10' 2wt and really like it. This was after trying and failing several other 10' rods. It feels very light in hand and is not nearly as tip heavy as some of the other long rods. The tip loads very quickly, easily for making short tightline nymph casts. I put a regular DT2F line on it, but for nymphing I generally fish it with a long leader so that the fly line stays on the reel. I did not the get extension kit. However, the butt cap unscrews and you can easily add a few washers to the butt to fine tune the balance to your liking and reel. I use it mainly for tightline nymphing. but have also cast smaller dry flies with it. I would not recommend using it for large dry / dropper fishing or for streamers. Randy V. from HTU recommended it to me, but he has the 3wt. You're welcome to lawn or stream cast it some time if you want to meet up.

Winonarich

Post by Winonarich » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Randy, I have been using an Echo Rod for the last four years and I use it as my go to rod now. I do not own a 10 ft Rod so I cannot comment on that part. I have Orvis, Sage, Powell and Winston rods to choose from, but I fish often with the Echo. I needed a back up rod for a western trip and bought the Echo to save some money. In my opinion the Echo casts as well as the other rods and my single experience with Echo customer service was a pleasure. Good luck with your decision.

Rich