Last Two Weeks of C&R Season

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby dpnoll » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:45 am

I checked out a couple of streams north of I 90 this morning and while they are a little high they look very fishable. Think I'll head out around noon on Saturday. The color in the hills is really nice.
dpnoll Offline

Postby brntrout » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 am

dpnoll wrote:I checked out a couple of streams north of I 90 this morning and while they are a little high they look very fishable. Think I'll head out around noon on Saturday. The color in the hills is really nice.

dpnoll,

I'm going out on a limb but i think stream conditions by the weekend should be favorable on many streams for fair to good fishing. Especially on medium and smaller size streams of shorter length. I might even get a little last minute fishing in myself I hope? If i do i will provide a report. Keep in mind a lot of larger trout are starting to stage for spawning and should be more than willing to chase /take streamer patterns. If your a lure guy things should be looking up as well. ;)
brntrout Offline

Postby dpnoll » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:38 am

Yeah, I'll be fishing a small stream and I'm expecting a good day. I'll write a report on Sunday too.
dpnoll Offline

Postby brntrout » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:35 am

I got out Saturday for awhile caught fish ob orange scuds and black buggers. fish ran 11 to 18 inches. Females were ripe with eggs and if it wasn't for that I would say they would look a little on the thin side. Males were colored up pretty well and I thought a little below average for body weight on the stream I was on.

On streams the DNR has electro-fished so far I heard the fish looked to be in good shape. Anyone else make it out over the last weekend of C&R!
brntrout Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:20 am

I made it out on a small remote stream on Saturday. I thought fishing was a bit slow but I caught plenty. Had a few colored up brookies mixed in and caught 4 or five browns between 14-17". I fished from about 10-1.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby jrs » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 pm

I fished today as well as Monday and Friday last week.

Spent a couple hours throwing big streamers (articulated Coffey Sparkle Minnow and articulated Zoo Cougar) this morning and last Monday. Overall, I thought the streamer fishing was little slow in terms of numbers of fish moved, but I did get a 16", 18" and 20" so I'm not going to complain too much.

Was also hoping for some good Baetis fishing. But the heavy rains last week and then the cold temperatures seemed to cool off the stream (45 degrees today) and Baetis hatch. We had decent, but largely unspectacular fishing with Baetis nymphs most days. This afternoon we ran into a fair Baetis hatch . Rising fish were a bit sparse and sporadic, but from around 1-4 pm there were small pods of willing fish here and there. I fished a #18 Baetis dun with fairly bright wings trailed by an unweighted, lightly greased WD-50. I took fish on both, but the WD-50 fished in the film worked really well.

My last fish today took the Baetis dun as I was reeling up to head to the car. Kind of a fitting end to a final week that didn't really pan out as expected but wasn't too bad either.
jrs Offline

Postby dpnoll » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:50 am

I made it out on a small stream North of I 90. Water was colored but very fishable. I ended up with 6 brookies and a brown. A lot of the runs that always produce, nada. A slow day but the fish were all in good shape. Overall though, a great year.
dpnoll Offline

Previous

Return to General Board