Trico Hatch

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby brntrout » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:35 am

Anyone run into a good Trico hatch yet?
brntrout Offline

Postby trouts » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:36 pm

I fished a good hatch about 2 weeks ago in SE MN. Plenty of Tricos to get fish looking up. They have been going good up here near the cities for about a month now. Hatches up here started picking up in numbers and consistency in bringing up fish just after the 4 of July.
trouts Offline

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Fished trico's the past couple days in Iowa. Decent numbers of bugs. Fish seemed to be on them. Private water and really public water. No people either. We were the only people in the camp grounds. Drinking coffee in the morning watched a coyote pee on the tire of my car, totally unaware I was there until I moved then he bolted!
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby High Stick » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:22 am

I ran into a go hatch south of 90 (not Iowa) in mid July. Haven't been on the water that early lately to go after them. I do run into decent trico hatches in September, especially mid to late morning on a few specific streams - typically once we start getting cool, early fall evenings.
High Stick Offline

Postby mjewen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:57 am

I fished South of I90 yesterday and saw some tricos hatching and plenty caught in spider webs. No fish were rising and I didn't see any spinner falls. Fished from about 930-1245. Stream was a little low and perfectly clear. I've been using The Fly Formally Known as Prince - a prince nymph with holographic tinsel wings instead of white biots with great success this summer. Various smaller flies such as Rainbow Warriors, Tungsten Surveyors or a Copper John type fly as my dropper. Lot's of flashy flies with little resemblance to natural bugs.
mjewen Offline

Postby darklake » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:48 pm

mjewen wrote:The Fly Formally Known as Prince.

One of my all time favorite fly names! :D
darklake Offline

Return to General Board