The Dark Side

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby KhakiSam » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:34 pm

I remember when I first started fishing for trout in WW--right as the sunset I would run back to the car with a net over my head. The bats were so crazy, I thought I'd get hit in the face.

Over the years, as I've read more and more about night fishing (check out "Night Fishing for Trout" by Jim Bashline if you can find a copy!), I've forced myself to acclimate to the bats. This year, as the summer has warmed up, I probably fish at night more than I fish during the day. It helps that Wisconsin has some lenient laws regarding night fishing. Minnesota, however, does not: you've got to stop at 11 p.m., which sucks.

It's interesting to arrive at a popular body of water on a Sunday night---after it's been pounded the whole weekend-- and see anglers packing up their gear and going home right when the good fishing begins.

1. Any of you guys down in the southeast go night fishing?

2. Would you be in favor of changing regulations to allow night fishing in Minnesota?
KhakiSam Offline

Postby trouts » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm

I tend to night fish more as the summer heats up, but that also might have to do with school being out and I don’t have to go to work the next day. I wish MN would change the 11 pm regs, but in my experience it’s one of the last things a warden would worry about. As long as you are not disrupting others late at night I really don’t see it as an issue. I’m not trying to encouraging anyone to break any regulations, but I put this in the same catagory as the disposing of internals reg. As long as you are not dumping a pile of trout guts in the parking lot, throwing them in the weeds where they aren’t unsightly isn’t hurting anything.
trouts Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:15 am

I love night fishing. Should do more of it but work and busy weekend schedules keep me from doing it more often. I have caught a couple handfuls of 20"+ browns well after sundown. Fishing streams that you know like the back of your hand will make it a much more enjoyable outing. Your best streams to fish at night tend to be streams that have had H.I. work and get piss pounded on a regular basis. After the sun goes down the big boys that you didn't know were there come out to play. It adds a whole new element to the whole "fighting a big fish in small water scenario".
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Postby winonaflyfactory » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:01 pm

Was out last night until 11pm. Would have stayed until much later if I could.
winonaflyfactory Offline

Postby brntrout » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:14 am

There is no doubt about it, larger trout are low light feeders. With off colored water and light rain/cloudy conditions being second best IMO. One of our ex Lanesboro DNR Fisheries Managers, Mel Haugstad, was a die hard night fisher. Probably the majority of his over 20 inch fish came to hand after dark. I would be definitely be opposed to allowing night fishing all night long unless total C&R regulations were implemented on all streams when fishing during that time frame. Large trout are very vulnerable at night and much easier catch then at any other time by far. Right now, with higher stream temperatures, especially on larger more marginal streams, stream temperatures don't fall back into trout's preferred feeding range until after dark, and sometimes that can be quite late in the evening.
brntrout Offline

Return to General Board