Rod Repair / Replacement Suggestions?

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby jrs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:18 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I broke the tip on a rod trying to get ice out of the tiptop yesterday. Yeah, I have several other rods and I could probably do fine without this rod, but I really liked it as an all around workhorse rod in SE MN.

The rod is question is an 8'6' 2 pc 3wt Redington RS4. This rod is about 10 years old, wasn't particularly expensive (I paid $170), and has seen a lot of days on stream. But I really like the rod and it does just about everything I'd want to do in SE MN pretty well. The broken section is only about 1" long.

So looking for suggestions on what I should do with it:
1) Redington has a lifetime warranty on the rod, but it would cost my $40 for warranty service fee plus $25 shipping (estimate). I'm also not sure what Redington would do since rod has been discontinued. I have sent them an email asking about options, but I'm thinking this might be more than it's worth spending on the rod.
2) I could get a new tiptop on the rod and have a 8'5" rod. I believe I could get this done locally for less than $10. Wondering if loosing an 1" would have any noticeable impact on rod action?
3) Of course, I could shop for a new 8'6" or 9' 3 wt all around rod. The Cabelas LSI, Echo Dry Fly, and Douglas DXF are a few that came to mind. Anybody get an all around, fast action, 8.5'-9' 3wt rod for less than $350 to recommend?
jrs Offline

Postby Troutchaser » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm

For what it's worth, try the tiptop replacement first. I did it with a Ruffed Grouse Society Garage Sale buy where the rod had lost 3" of tip. Casts beautifully now - and cost me less than $10.
Troutchaser Offline

Postby brntrout » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:11 pm

If you only lost 1" I doubt it will cast that much different, if you just replace the tip top. If that doesn't make you feel good about the rod then move on to options 1. or 3.
brntrout Offline

Postby TaG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:02 pm

I have a 9’ 3wt Cabelas LST rod and it is my go to for trout! Loads well and casts both nymphs and dries equally well, I have even fished some buggers with it. Casts as well if not better than my Loomis rods
TaG Offline

Postby teach » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 pm

I would do Option 1 if it works out that they are able to replace. If you like the rod, I'd say $65 is well worth it. If they can't, then Option 2 for sure - can't imagine it would change the action that much - especially since I've gathered you're mostly a dirty nymph chucker :) - like me! If you end up going the Option 3 route also, I can recommend the Cabela's LSi 9' 3 weight. I bought it last year on the advice of a couple members of this board and used it almost exclusively last season. If fished nymphs with it about 75% of the time and it served me well, but it performed nicely when I switched to dries, too. I also used buggers (size 8s with a conehead) and even size 6 clousers with it a few times and it cast them pretty well. It's significantly faster than my trusty old 8' St. Croix (which is neither a pro or a con, just an adjustment I had to make). Good luck and keep us updated!
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!
teach Offline

Postby High Stick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:06 am

I had the same problem with one the original Redington RS2 8' 2 weight rods. Broke an inch off and had it repaired at Wild Goose for a few bucks. Ultimately broke more of it off and had no choice but to mail it back. They sent me their next best things which was not in the same class as the RS2. Sold it on ebay and have never gone back to Redington. Get on some of the larger fly fishing sites and do some scouring in the for sale section. Ebay might be worth a look, too. Because of the situation at not being able to replace a tip, you may be in the market to replace the whole rod.
High Stick Offline

Postby brntrout » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 am

High Stick wrote:I had the same problem with one the original Redington RS2 8' 2 weight rods. Broke an inch off and had it repaired at Wild Goose for a few bucks. Ultimately broke more of it off and had no choice but to mail it back. They sent me their next best things which was not in the same class as the RS2. Sold it on ebay and have never gone back to Redington. Get on some of the larger fly fishing sites and do some scouring in the for sale section. Ebay might be worth a look, too. Because of the situation at not being able to replace a tip, you may be in the market to replace the whole rod.

I agree with HS. The problem with most fly rod manufactures is they discontinue models after being produced only a short time. So even if you do get the rod replaced by Redington it probably won't be with a rod you will like as well as the one you broke. IMO replacing a rod with another you won't like to fish isn't a good deal! Of course, you could get a rod from Redington that you do like, but I would not bet on it? :(

I forgot to mention, there is nothing wrong with the Cabela's LSi or LST rods they are light in the hand and cast great. IMO, you could spend five hundred dollars more and not get a better rod.
brntrout Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am

Have broken my Redington 7 wt 3-4 times (carp - only inland fish that can really even break a 7 wt). My Redington service experience has been great. At one point they did replace it with a newer model because mine was no longer in production. This last time, they told me that I literally got the absolute last Wayfarer in any Redington warehouse in the country. So when this one breaks, it'll be on to another model.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby jrs » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:28 pm

I did get a prompt response from Redington. They said they would likely replace the rod with a Voyant. Sounds like the Voyant is slower than the RS4 and the only 3wt is 7.5'. Not knocking Redington - think they are being fair and reasonable - but I'm going to head over to Wild Goose and get a new tip top.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby brntrout » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

The review below suggests the Redington Voyant is a fast action rod. This rod model is also discontinued.

The Redington Voyant™ Fly Rod is a premium, fast action, 4-piece, red fly rod that is designed specifically for the beginner to the more advanced angler. The convenient, tip-flexing performance provides increased distance, durability and accuracy. Delivering the perfect blend of modern performance and old-world feel, this ...
brntrout Offline

Next

Return to General Board