1/9 stream report

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby jrs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Took advantage of the warmer temps to do some fishing south of I-90.

Started on a smaller stream about 9 am. This stream had a minimum of ice and fished really well. I tightline nymphed with my 10' 2 WT mostly fishing a Rainbow Scud trailed by a Miracle Midge. Caught fish on both flies, but the biggest (17") was on the midge. This stream seemed really low and clear. With the bright sun and lower sun angle this time of year it was a challenge to approach many spots without spooking fish.

Stopped at a larger stream in the same system. This stream had a lot of shelf ice so I moved on.

Stopped at another medium size stream on my way home. This stream was at more normal levels and clarity than the first stream I visited. There were also midges swarming pretty well when I arrived around 1 pm. Just nymphed a couple runs, but fish were taking nymphs pretty well. Most of my fish at this stop were on a #12 Perdigon.

A few fish were in riffles / runs, but most of the fish I caught today were pretty light takes from deeper, slower mid-pool areas. Fish seemed to be bunched up in these slower, deeper pools which is pretty typical of winter fishing IMO.

Last edited by jrs on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs Offline

Postby winonaflyfactory » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 am

10’ 2wt....I’m drooling right now. I fished on the 8th and enjoyed the warm weather as much as I could. I took fish on streamers mostly. I hiked a stretch I haven’t seen in years and was a bit disappointed. Midge everywhere. Rising fish. The usual for a 37 degree day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winonaflyfactory Offline

Postby winonaflyfactory » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 am

10’ 2wt....I’m drooling right now. I fished on the 8th and enjoyed the warm weather as much as I could. I took fish on streamers mostly. I hiked a stretch I haven’t seen in years and was a bit disappointed. Midge everywhere. Rising fish. The usual for a 37 degree day.

winonaflyfactory Offline

Postby jrs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:45 pm

winonaflyfactory wrote:10’ 2wt....I’m drooling right now. I fished on the 8th and enjoyed the warm weather as much as I could. I took fish on streamers mostly. I hiked a stretch I haven’t seen in years and was a bit disappointed. Midge everywhere. Rising fish. The usual for a 37 degree day.

Echo Shadow 2. Really nice nymph rod for about $250.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 am

I took Wednesday afternoon off to sit in the CWD zone 230 PM to dark. On my way there I stopped at one hole and nymphed the hell out of it. At that time it was still fairly windy; cloudy too. The air temp was in the 30s but it didn't feel particularly warm. Lead fly was an oversized bug with rubber legs ("symph" I've always called these) and the trailer was a zebra midge. Hooked eight and landed six; all on the big nymph. As far as I could tell not a single fish ate the midge.

No deer seen. Notable number of squirrels that my kid might shoot from that stand later on. Also chickadees. And a prolonged owl conversation all around me. I heard barred owls for sure but then also at least one that wasn't a barred owl. Must have been a great gray or a great horned. Wind layed down a bit as night came on; it was a nice time to be in a tree.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby brntrout » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am

The Echo 10'-2 wt. fly rod is the only rod of this length and line weight that is reasonably priced, light weight, and a good casting rod at the same time, IMO. The only rod that may be superior "might" be the Sage rod in this length and line weight. You can either pay $250 or $1,000 and the difference is going to be very slight as to which rod one feels is the better rod.

I fish a Grey's 10'-2 wt. rod ($260) which is my favorite nymph rod. The only problem with this rod is it no longer made which means it can not be replaced. So, if you' re looking for a nymph rod of this length and line weight the choices out there are very limited.
brntrout Offline

Return to General Board