Fly Swap? (And bike accident!)

General trout, fishing, conservation, or anything outdoors related discussion. Trip reports and stream conditions welcome, but please do not name streams.
POLITICAL FREE ZONE

Postby KhakiSam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to make a quick post to see if anyone was interested in doing a fly swap like have been done in previous year(s?) on the board.
I believe it was Randy who organized it.. if I remember correctly.

Anyway, anyone interested in getting that going again? We could maybe make it happen before the end of the year.

For my part, I've been tying quite a bit lately. I was hit while riding my bike about 3 weeks ago.. a car that was in a police chase totally t-boned me and sent me flying. Imagine a big hungry brown smashing a streamer in the fall... that's kinda what it was like. Ha.

Anyways, I've been tying a lot since then and would love to get one of these exchanges going. Check my blog link (below) if you want to read about the bike accident.

Peace!
KhakiSam Offline

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Ksam man what a story. Sorry it had to happen. PM me if there's anything I can do to help out. Word though, you don't want any of my flies! Seriously, get well. Best, howdy.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby jrs » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:53 pm

I'd be up for a fly swap if we can get a few more.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:02 am

Not good. Hope you are mending well.

A swap would bring me back tot he vise, which would be good. Been a long time.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby winonaflyfactory » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:26 am

I would do a swap. Need the same motivation Wendy describes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
winonaflyfactory Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

I would be interested as well.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Postby KhakiSam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 pm

Awesome--looks like theres some interest.

In the past, did people tie up two flies for every person, or just one?

I'd be interested if anyone that has participated in the past has good tips on the logistics.

Also, if anyone knows Randy, maybe he'd want to spearhead it and take the lead once again.

Anyone feel like breaking it down for the rest of us? How does it work? Tie up flies, mail them to central location with the "recipe," included, and then that person mails out the composite package to each person that participated?

Thanks for the replies everyone! Keep 'em coming
KhakiSam Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Tie a fly for all participants, post recipe in the forum, mail to organizer, and the organizer distributes fly to all. IMO it's a big ask to suggest someone else takes the lead as organizer. Last swap some of the fellas gathered in Rochester to do the swap in person. Perhaps that could work again?
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Postby jrs » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Usually ...
-- Get about a dozen participants
-- Everyone ties enough flies so each participant gets one fly (and maybe a couple extras for swapmaster).
-- Flies are delivered to swapmaster by designated date along with a suitable container and return address envelop with postage.
-- Once all flies are received, swapmaster mixes the fly sets and mails them back to participants.
-- Probably have each participant post a fly photo and recipe on special thread on this forum.
-- if there's interest from participants, we could also do a in person get together.

I suspect Randy and everyone else would be happy to let you be the swapmaster, kahkisam. Hope you are healing up from your accident!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby Troutchaser » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Also interested in joining the swap. Theme? Winter flies, caddis adults, nymphs or the dreaded MAWI :D ?
Troutchaser Offline

Next

Return to General Board