Runoff and manure

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.
User avatar
Randy
Site Admin
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:13 pm
Location: Rochester, MN
Contact:

Runoff and manure

Post by Randy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:16 am

Snow melt poses challenges for livestock manure management
from MPCA

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts ... ins/aa01ef

St. Paul, Minn. – As winter gives way to spring, rapid snow melt and the potential for flooding pose challenges for farmers who spread livestock manure on cropland. Farmers who spread solid manure during winter must ensure that it doesn’t run off the field, with snowmelt flowing to ditches, streams and other waters.

According to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA), manure-contaminated runoff not only threatens water quality, it reduces the value of manure as a crop nutrient. If possible, farmers should refrain from spreading manure during periods of rapid melt. Minnesota rules to protect water quality require a 300-foot setback from surface waters and open tile intakes for all manure spread onto frozen or snow-covered soil.

more here
Image

brntrout
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am

Post by brntrout » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:54 am

It would be nice if farmers would follow the rule but they almost never do. It's the same with the county set back ordinances, yes, there is a an ordinance but are the set back ordinances really followed, in most cases no their not. There is "almost" no point of having those rules, laws if there is no enforcement of them. Do some people follow these rules, laws and ordinances? Yes, but I would say the majority do not.

After driving around checking streams and their watersheds the other day I did notice there has been very little manure spread on fields as of yet, that does not bode well for keeping manure out of our streams.

IMO, if people really want improved conservation results from these types of rules/laws then they have to have "teeth" which means the people who violate the ordinances/laws get fined. And if they continue to violate they get increased fine rates, and if that doesn't work they should get jail time and a fine!

User avatar
TFO5wt
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re:

Post by TFO5wt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

brntrout wrote:It would be nice if farmers would follow the rule but they almost never do. It's the same with the county set back ordinances, yes, there is a an ordinance but are the set back ordinances really followed, in most cases no their not. There is "almost" no point of having those rules, laws if there is no enforcement of them. Do some people follow these rules, laws and ordinances? Yes, but I would say the majority do not.

IMO, if people really want improved conservation results from these types of rules/laws then they have to have "teeth" which means the people who violate the ordinances/laws get fined. And if they continue to violate they get increased fine rates, and if that doesn't work they should get jail time and a fine!
Exactly. What's the point of a law that everyone knows isn't going to be enforced?
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am

Re: Runoff and manure

Post by brntrout » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:59 pm

TFO5wt wrote:
brntrout wrote:It would be nice if farmers would follow the rule but they almost never do. It's the same with the county set back ordinances, yes, there is a an ordinance but are the set back ordinances really followed, in most cases no their not. There is "almost" no point of having those rules, laws if there is no enforcement of them. Do some people follow these rules, laws and ordinances? Yes, but I would say the majority do not.

IMO, if people really want improved conservation results from these types of rules/laws then they have to have "teeth" which means the people who violate the ordinances/laws get fined. And if they continue to violate they get increased fine rates, and if that doesn't work they should get jail time and a fine!
Exactly. What's the point of a law that everyone knows isn't going to be enforced?
I really don't know about the rest of you but these types of things "anger" me. And as you can tell it also angers me when our money is being wasted on bad H.I work that will in all likely hood wash away rather quickly and provide little if any habitat benefits for anything. :x

S.T.Fanatic
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm

Post by S.T.Fanatic » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Around me most farmers have been spreading all winter long because they dont want to have happen what did last year. That manure is valuable to farmers and they dont want to see it wash away any less than we do.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

WhiteGlovedHowdy
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Post by WhiteGlovedHowdy » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:28 am

I think the problem is that few counties have the resources to employ anyone to supervise these activities. The last I looked feedlot and manure enforcement was a county level issue. Am I right in thinking that? Or am I imagining things? Look at the make-up of county commissioners and you may see a correlation with no money for enforcement.

I tend to agree that farmers don't want to waste the nutrients in manure, but they also frequently have a hard time getting to where they want to dump it. Closer is easier, which concentrates the problem.

brntrout
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am

Post by brntrout » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:21 am

Who are the elected County Commissioners and especially who are the feed lot officers? There pretty much all farmers, so do you really think they want to take enforcement action against their friends and neighbors who elected them, probably not?

mwinkels
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:55 pm

Post by mwinkels » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:52 am

What are the requirements to be a county commissioner?

Have you ever run for an office Tom?

brntrout
Posts: 2943
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:26 am

Re:

Post by brntrout » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 pm

mwinkels wrote:What are the requirements to be a county commissioner?

Have you ever run for an office Tom?
I'm not sure what all the requirements are to run for CC but I do know you have to live in the county your running for office in. I suppose you could call one of the county commissioners and ask them, or google your question for answers..

No I have not run for office or would I. If one is going to run for political office being totally straight with people and being truthful (that's called not being PC)all the time usually doesn't work if your running for office!

Its really amazing how many people DO NOT want to hear the real truth about a lot of issues. In fact many get down right mad if you state the truth whether its a scientific fact or not. I think some people are easily brainwashed into beliving certain things that are not true, and then when they are called on it, they refuse to admit their wrong.

User avatar
TFO5wt
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:33 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Re:

Post by TFO5wt » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm

brntrout wrote: Its really amazing how many people DO NOT want to hear the real truth about a lot of issues. In fact many get down right mad if you state the truth whether its a scientific fact or not. I think some people are easily brainwashed into beliving certain things that are not true, and then when they are called on it, they refuse to admit their wrong.
To be sure! Considering that along with only Australia, the US is the only country where climate change has been hijacked and turned into a political issue that has "been created" by liberals. And there's evolution. If the teabaggers, I mean tea party, can get people to believe that rubbish, nothing else really even stands a chance with a certain sect of Americans.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

Post Reply