IMPORTANT: MN DNR NEW Trout Regulations - Comment Period

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.

Postby brntrout » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:23 pm

The MN DNR is now in the process of requesting comments from the public on their proposal to simplify trout regulations for SE MN trout streams. Additionally the DNR wants comments on opening lakes to winter trout fishing in Becker, Beltrami, Cass, Crow Wing and Hubbard counties
The request for comments has already appeared in the December 10, 2012 edition of the MN State Register (http://www.comm.media.state.mn.us). Comments on the open rules may be submitted until February 11, 2013. The final language that will be sent out for adoption will be drafted after the comment period has ended and will be sent out to those who commented.

The following outlines the (exact) MN DNR proposal for trout regulations that are being considered.
1) Remove all barbless hook regulations in all trout seasons on all trout season in SE MN.
2)Bring all designated trout streams in SE MN into the current winter season.
3)Allow angling (catch and release) on designated trout streams in SE State Parks from October 15th to December 31st. (new State Park season )
4)SE MN stream reaches with gear restrictions during the regular season should follow those gear restrictions in all other seasons.
5)Extend the current fall catch and release season to October 15th.
6) Open some lakes in Becker, Beltrami, Cass, Crow Wing, and Hubbard counties to winter trout fishing.

The SE MN regulation changes have been discussed with constituents for a number of years now. We (DNR) hope that by simplifying these regulations, it will make it easier for new anglers to get into the sport and make compliance much easier for those already participating.

If you have any comment or questions, please contact Linda Erickson Eastwood, Program Manager - Fisheries Management Section by e-mail (linda.erickson-eastwood@state.mn.us or phone 651-259-5206

IMPORTANT: IF YOU WANT TO SEE THESE NEW TROUT REGULATIONS HAPPEN, PLEASE, Contact Linda Erickson Eastwood and let her know you support the DNR's proposed SE MN trout regulations changes and the opening of some lakes for winter trout angling..

If the majority of trout anglers support the NEW trout regulation changes I've been told by the DNR some of the regulation changes may take effect by this fall. Which includes extending the fall C&R season to October 15th. and opening the State Park season October 15th to December 31st. The expansion of all streams open to the winter season wouldn't happen until Jan 1st 2014.
Last edited by brntrout on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brntrout Offline

Postby jrs » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 pm

I hear people asking about this regularly, thanks for the update brntrout. I just sent my email of support to Linda and hope others do as well. I'll also spread the word on this with my fishing buddies.
jrs Offline

Postby Josh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:07 pm

thanks for putting this out there, Tom. I sent in my email.
-josh
Josh Offline

Postby brntrout » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:16 pm

Josh wrote:thanks for putting this out there, Tom. I sent in my email.

As did I.

UPDATE: So far, the DNR has heard NO opposition to their proposed trout reg changes. 8-)

NOTE: PLEASE, copy the above DNR SE Regulation change information and e-mail it to all you're trout fishing buddies. That way they can also provide supportive input to DNR on making these important trout regs changes

THANKS GUYS & have a great holiday season
brntrout Offline

Postby mark p » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:03 am

I replied as well and sent off e-mails to my friends who trout fish (and would support the changes). I have 1 friend who would probably object because they don't like the special regs on some streams. Couldn't see any reason to send it to him.
mark p Offline

Postby Pillzilla » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Done. She even sent a response back thanking me. Must not have received to many yet to be replying to all of the comments.
Pillzilla Offline

Return to Conservation News & Action Alerts