Polymet Mine Petition

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.
High Stick

Polymet Mine Petition

Post by High Stick »

brntrout

Re: Polymet Mine Petition

Post by brntrout »

This situation is not as black and white as it appears. The mining of nickel and copper is necessary for the production of all things electronic including, phones, computers TV's, basically everything that has electronic function. In today's world the demand for more electronic technologies is off the charts. in fact most people would not know what to do if they did not have all these electronics gadgets, especially their smart phones to play on all day long!

Unless demand drops off dramatically for new an innovative electronic technologies ( BTW it will only increase)i'm afraid the demand for these types of metals will become even greater. That leaves us with either protecting the environment or reducing the production of goods that have electronic function. If we chose the last option the cost of every electronic product will increase dramatically because demand will out strip production for the lack production materials!

The only other way to reduce pollution, or protect our environment is by reducing demand for electronic products that utilize our natural resources for there production. Of course that is not going to happen either, because that would mean a serious reduction in human population would have to occur! That puts us in a CATCH 22 situation, pick your poison!

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout »

I think we should do better and protect our national and state parks. There are plenty of ore reserves in other places. Corporate greed has devised a scheme to destroy our last wild sanctuaries simply because they save a few pennies a ton on ore.

I don’t mind paying a few extra cents on electronics to save our wild places.

Mines destroy the surrounding habitats including polluting surface water.

When ordered to clean up their mess, they declare bankruptcy and tax payers get the bill.

Mines have done this repeatedly. Don’t be fooled by their dirty tricks.

When they say tax revenue ... think billions of tax expenses to clean up the mess.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I agree not allowing mines in federal or state parks "at this time" should not be allowed.

Keep in mind the largest deposits of copper are mostly located in Chile and Peru. In the US most of our copper mines run along a line from Montana to Arizona. Its like anything else business wise if production costs can be kept down more profit can be made.

In reality politicians and big business are one and the same. Its about the MONEY baby! After all its politicians that allowed this mine to happen.

Also make no mistake our planets natural resources do not hold an endless supply of raw materials. As the supply dwindles the demand will go up as there are getting to be more and more people and less raw materials to produce the goods they want or need! That means having to buy or mine raw materials from other countries will drive up cost of products made from those materials.

Here is a few articles worth reading:

//www.reuters.com/article/global-metals/m ... SL3N22F0ZQ

https://www.leg.state.mn.us/webcontent/ ... oversy.pdf

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout »

Three quick points:

First, the Reuter’s article (full disclosure I worked for Reuters) states shortages are due to lack of investment by mining co’s, not lack of ore. Read mines are limiting supply to raise profit. Nickel is one of the most abundant ores in the earth’s crust, finding easy, profitable ore is the issue.

Second, the article by MN Leg. Is excellent, fair and honest. It mentions Sudbury nickel mining disaster and predicts it could “never” happen again. Since the article was published in 1975, there have been many Sudbury’s and billions of tax dollars have been spent on clean up. They invented the term, “Super-Fund” to handle environmental clean up of these disasters.

Third, mining near a protected Wilderness area, as greedy mine co’s propose, can harm those areas just as much as if the mine was in the protected boundary.

It boils down to protecting our last wild areas vs. a few pennies extra cost per ton of ore.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

I agree, many shortages of some commodities are manufactured shortages to drive up prices. A prime example is oil/gasoline.

I'm sure the reason this area of MN was chosen is because more profit could be made than choosing another mining location..

I wouldn't just blame mining companies for this situation, after all politics/politicians are the ones directly responsible for allowing these types of environmental problems to happen. Then they are the first ones to create a Super Fund (taxpayers money)to clean up the mess they created in the first place. So in essences we get screwed twice by these nice HONEST politicians, RIGHT!!!

However, we need these types of raw materials to manufacture products that meet man's need to progress as a civilization. Unfortunately, no matter where these materials are mined from, there will be environmental problems associated with the extraction of these types of raw materials. In this case we would prefer to have these environmental problems not occur in an area like our wilderness boundary waters area. We would rather have people in another area deal with this type of problem instead.

Like I said before for, this is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation! First there is no way around not mining for these types of raw materials, we need them, and there is no way around politicians not acting any different than they do now in the future. Its a strong bet things are likely to get even worse before they get better, provided they ever do!

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

High Stick

Post by High Stick »

More: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-ap ... 566940532/

Minnesota House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt, R-Crown, issued a statement saying Gov. Tim Walz should order the DNR to appeal the ruling. "Good-paying jobs are being put on hold thanks to politically minded lawsuits by environmentalists,'' Daudt said.

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

High Stick wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:59 pm
More: http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-ap ... 566940532/

Minnesota House Minority Leader Kurt Daudt, R-Crown, issued a statement saying Gov. Tim Walz should order the DNR to appeal the ruling. "Good-paying jobs are being put on hold thanks to politically minded lawsuits by environmentalists,'' Daudt said.
Monday’s ruling does not kill PolyMet’s permits, issued in late 2018 and quickly challenged, but are likely to create significant delays and complicate the company’s efforts to raise construction financing.

This is exactly what Olmsted Concerned Citizens group accomplished in fighting the proposed MinnErgy ethanol plant in Eyota. Unfortunately it took 4 years and $50,000 dollars to find legal ways to delay the project. In the end MinnErgy did get their permits, BUT when they did Federal funding needed to offset the cost of building the plant was eliminated, and the cost of building the plant had risen considerably. In the end MinnERgy could no longer afford to build the plant. :D

At this point it appears who has the most time and money will win! We will see?

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

As bad as Polymet is, the Twin Metals project is even worse. Both would forever change one of the nicest areas of the country. Beyond the permanent footprints on the landscape and likelihood of eventual acid runoff, there will be serious noise and light pollution, heavy traffic, air pollution, etc.

Americans need to start considering just what they want this country to be like in 50 or 100 years.

Mining is not appropriate everywhere.