Clean Water Act

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.
High Stick

Clean Water Act

Post by High Stick »

https://kttc.com/news/2019/09/14/locals ... ater-rule/

There's a lot to digest in such a small article. Remind me again who the PCA works for?

mcktrout

Re: Clean Water Act

Post by mcktrout »

Highest Bidder ... ?????????

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Unfortunately there are more things coming into play than just making money.

Supplying goods and services for more and more people( over population) requires greater and greater utilization of our natural resources there is no way around that without severely reducing human population, that is a fact, at least in these times anyway.

Since there is no viable means of reducing human population that causes excessive water and air pollution we are stuck with depleting our natural resources and the pollution that goes along with it! BTW this is a world wide problem not just something happening in this country.

However, its also a fact its about the MONEY, LOTS OF MONEY/GREED!

Here is another article that better explains the expected change in the Clean Water Act: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/12/clim ... tions.html

S.T.Fanatic

Post by S.T.Fanatic »

The federal government should have nothing to do with water regulations and IMO they should have NOTHING to do with many things. Clean water is a state issue for each and every state.

To clarify, does this have any impact on what Dayton did the last few years he was in office and if so, what?
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat »

I don't think the federal clean water rules have any impact on state mandated buffer strips.

As for the feds regulating water pollution, it makes TOTAL SENSE, as most surface waters flow through more than one state. Should a state be allowed to dump cancer-causing or radioactive waste into public waters?

brntrout

Post by brntrout »

Cutthroat,

You're right, state buff mandates are not federal mandates. I also agree federal clean water mandates are necessary. That way all states have to follow the same clean water standards.

Of course, when BIG money is involved those standards become kind of foggy! A good example would be the Polymet mine in MN. Everyone knows just because the permits were given for the Polymet mine, that doesn't mean the requirements for receiving those permits will be followed or met. Its also a guarantee some of the information given by Polymet to be written in to their permit applications are likely not to be accurate. We went through the same thing when we fought against the proposed MinnErgy ethanol plant.

Still its far better to have some state and federal clean water standards in place than having none!