Hogs

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Newburg township board approved a one year moritorium on Non residential construction. This moratorium will give the township time to reconsider the details of the catalpa project. And plan for development . The meeting was well attended and proponents of the moratorium were eloquent in their arguments. They deserve kudos for the effort. It was a very interesting meeting. Big crowd. Almost all opposed to the swine operation.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the update.
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby brntrout » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:21 am

At least that might hold this environmental disaster off for a year. Lets hope big money backers fold on this project, WE WILL SEE?
brntrout Offline

Postby High Stick » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:16 am

http://www.kttc.com/story/38952528/2018 ... d-hog-farm

Al Hein gives the impression his project will eventually be a go.
High Stick Offline

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:04 am

The year will be devoted to developing a use plan for the township. That is no small task. I must say that in a time when civil discourse seems to have disappeared, I left the meeting optimistic about the nature of all of us. People were polite, they followed the rules for comments, and the comments themselves were well thought out and remarkably well-stated, also accurate. Their were two hundred people there and about ten were in favor, the rest were opposition, including neighbors, lawyer neighbors, towns people, clergy people.

Oddly, those that didn't follow the rules were all in favor of the project. Both of them. The gentleman quoted in the article one of the two, may not have the clearest view of the future.

My interest, aside from water quality, is the involvement of Holden Farms one of the biggest hog operations in America.

I was a two term mayor of a small town when I was in my twenties and county boards are the weirdest level of government. I never delt with township boards, except to contract for fire service,but this board really seemed engaged.

By the way, watched twenty minutes of the Cougars practice. They could have some problems this year, if I were them I would figure out a way to run the ball.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:22 am

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:
By the way, watched twenty minutes of the Cougars practice. They could have some problems this year, if I were them I would figure out a way to run the ball.

You should have watched their volleyball team then.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby jrs » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks much for update and report WGH. I've really been impressed by the local involvement on this issue.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby brntrout » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:35 am

If there is an existing township plan that allows these types of facilities to built they will not legally be able to purposely change the current plan not to allow the facility to be built. I/we went through the same thing fighting the MnEnergy Ethanol plant. I'm not even sure the township can change their plan after the fact to stop this plant from being built! In other words they may not be able to change a plan just to stop a certain kind of development after its already been proposed first!

In any case, we will see!

And you all know my feeling about this facility, "I'm not for it under any circumstance"!
brntrout Offline

Postby High Stick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:58 am

High Stick Offline

Postby brntrout » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:50 am

The MPCA said it needs more time to rule on whether to require an Environmental Impact Statement.

I find this statement laughable.

Come on, after months of looking at information/data about this proposed facility and they still can't come up with a decision on whether or not an EIS should be required? Since I've been through this before over the proposed MinnEnergy Ethanol plant in Eyota , I can tell you this, if the MPCA decides an EIS is to be required it would likely put an end to the hog facility being built.

Because of all the potential environmental problems this facility might cause the EIS would be very expensive, at least several hundred thousand dollars which the developer has to pay. Intensive EIS studies can take up to a year to do which I'm sure the proposed facility would take most likely.

So really the hog facility being built is all up to whether or not the MPCA decides an EIS is necessary or not !

ADDED: On the other hand if the developer wants to go through the process and spend that kind of extra money anything is possible "I guess"! :shock:
brntrout Offline

Next

Return to Conservation News & Action Alerts