Postpone Decision On Need For EIS for Catalpa Hog Facility

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 am

S.T.Fanatic wrote:In the end it should be up to nobody other than the voters in the township the building project is proposed (after hearing what experts on both sides of the coin have to say about it). They are after all the people with skin in the game. If it gets shut down great if it passes to bad so sad that's the democracy many have fought and died to keep.

That would be disastrous. Seriously. Impact will go well beyond the reaches of the township.

Additionally, most people - even those who have a long history in one area - are not aware of (or care about) the unique geological characteristics of the land around them.
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am

Randy wrote:
S.T.Fanatic wrote:In the end it should be up to nobody other than the voters in the township the building project is proposed (after hearing what experts on both sides of the coin have to say about it). They are after all the people with skin in the game. If it gets shut down great if it passes to bad so sad that's the democracy many have fought and died to keep.

That would be disastrous. Seriously. Impact will go well beyond the reaches of the township.

Additionally, most people - even those who have a long history in one area - are not aware of (or care about) the unique geological characteristics of the land around them.

I would agree with Randy and Mkctrout on this one. Polluting water or air is not a localized situation ever, as it negatively affects the total amount available that is not polluted for all species, including man.
brntrout Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 am

brntrout wrote:
Randy wrote:

I would agree with Randy and Mkctrout on this one. Polluting water or air is not a localized situation ever, as it negatively affects the total amount available that is not polluted for all species, including man.

Just who are "most people"? Are you talking about rural citizens and farmers or just the majority of people that live in a region (vastly skewed by urban areas).

Your way off base if your talking about locals.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

Obviously a big generalization on my part, and I'm okay with that. So, even if they are aware, perhaps the bottom line is more important than environmental impacts.

Regardless of all that, I'm glad that regulatory means take place outside of just the townships. Water is a public resource.
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:18 am

IMO, I don't think Randy statement was an over generalization at all, in fact I think he was right on the MONEY!

Generally speaking when it comes down to whats more important to people, money or the environment, (clean water & air) money wins out nine times out of ten. Even in counties that are supposedly non capitalist type governments this seems to be a fact, amazingly?
brntrout Offline

Previous

Return to Conservation News & Action Alerts