Postpone Decision On Need For EIS for Catalpa Hog Facility

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:03 am

S.T.Fanatic wrote:In the end it should be up to nobody other than the voters in the township the building project is proposed (after hearing what experts on both sides of the coin have to say about it). They are after all the people with skin in the game. If it gets shut down great if it passes to bad so sad that's the democracy many have fought and died to keep.

That would be disastrous. Seriously. Impact will go well beyond the reaches of the township.

Additionally, most people - even those who have a long history in one area - are not aware of (or care about) the unique geological characteristics of the land around them.
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:32 am

Randy wrote:
S.T.Fanatic wrote:In the end it should be up to nobody other than the voters in the township the building project is proposed (after hearing what experts on both sides of the coin have to say about it). They are after all the people with skin in the game. If it gets shut down great if it passes to bad so sad that's the democracy many have fought and died to keep.

That would be disastrous. Seriously. Impact will go well beyond the reaches of the township.

Additionally, most people - even those who have a long history in one area - are not aware of (or care about) the unique geological characteristics of the land around them.

I would agree with Randy and Mkctrout on this one. Polluting water or air is not a localized situation ever, as it negatively affects the total amount available that is not polluted for all species, including man.
brntrout Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:44 am

brntrout wrote:
Randy wrote:

I would agree with Randy and Mkctrout on this one. Polluting water or air is not a localized situation ever, as it negatively affects the total amount available that is not polluted for all species, including man.

Just who are "most people"? Are you talking about rural citizens and farmers or just the majority of people that live in a region (vastly skewed by urban areas).

Your way off base if your talking about locals.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby Randy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 am

Obviously a big generalization on my part, and I'm okay with that. So, even if they are aware, perhaps the bottom line is more important than environmental impacts.

Regardless of all that, I'm glad that regulatory means take place outside of just the townships. Water is a public resource.
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:18 am

IMO, I don't think Randy statement was an over generalization at all, in fact I think he was right on the MONEY!

Generally speaking when it comes down to whats more important to people, money or the environment, (clean water & air) money wins out nine times out of ten. Even in countries that are supposedly non capitalist type governments this seems to be a fact, amazingly?
Last edited by brntrout on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brntrout Offline

Postby jrs » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:55 am

Got this via email today and thought I would pass on for those of you interested in taking further action. It is very quick and easy to take action if you follow the link.

The MPCA is avoiding ordering an in-depth Environmental Impact Statement of the proposed Catalpa, LLC factory farm. The agency needs to hear from us (again)!

Dear Friend,

State law requires that if a project has “the potential for significant environmental impacts,” then an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) must be completed. An EIS fully considers potential environmental, human and economic impacts, and analyzes how and if the project can be built in a way that mitigates potential harm. An EIS is paid for by the proposer of the operation. The decision whether to do an EIS is ultimately made by MPCA Commissioner John Linc Stine. Read more below and TAKE ACTION.

This factory farm would have an 8.9 million-gallon liquid manure pit and use 8.8 million gallons of the area’s groundwater annually (220 million gallons over 25 years). The high-risk karst area it is proposed in has nearby sinkholes and disappearing springs. This geology can allow surface pollution to enter the groundwater in a matter of hours.
The call for an EIS from local residents, local officials, farmers and small-business owners has been overwhelming. There were 772 comments during the public comment period for the Environmental Assessment Worksheet (EAW), with only six comments in favor of the operation. Of those 772 comments, 581 specifically called for an EIS, and a total of 760 comments expressed concern about the potential for the project to produce significant negative impacts in the community.

Those calling for an EIS included:
The Fillmore County Board of Commissioners and the Fillmore County Coordinator
The Fillmore County Soil & Water Conservation District (SWCD)
A Fillmore County feedlot officer
The Mayor of Mabel
Newburg Township Supervisors
The Mayor of Canton and a Canton City Council member
Minnesota's leading karst expert, Dr. Calvin Alexander
Hundreds of residents, farmers, nurses, teachers, faith leaders and small-business owners

Despite this, the MPCA has delayed the decision to order the EIS and instead ordered more investigation at the site. This call for more investigation clearly shows that the MPCA acknowledges that there is the “potential for significant environmental impacts”— which, by state law, means it’s time to order an EIS. This further investigation should be done as part of the EIS process.

TAKE ACTION! The MPCA's further investigation and the public outcry make it clear that it's time to order an EIS. Click here to tell MPCA Commissioner John Linc Stine and Governor Mark Dayton that it's time for the MPCA to follow the law and do its job. http://www.congressweb.com/LSP/60

If you are an LSP member and received this email yesterday, please disregard the duplicate email.

Thank you,

Amanda Babcock

Land Stewardship Project State Policy Organizer

612-722-6377

ababcock@landstewardshipproject.org
jrs Offline

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Not Surprised at all! I've been through this politically rigged process before!

With 772 comments and only 6 people supporting this facility and with a list of who's who of "significant importance"calling for an EIS why on earth would the MPCA not require an EIS? Maybe the MPCA thought there was not enough sink holes for the pig crap to run down before this operation would totally mess up the entire area??? :(

Or you could just follow the MONEY TRAIL and see where that leads you, then you will know why the MPCA is a BIG JOKE!
brntrout Offline

Postby brntrout » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm

I did take time again, to send additional comments asking for an EIS. Its hard not to be a glass half empty person when dealing with these people as big money almost always wins out ! :x
brntrout Offline

Previous

Return to Conservation News & Action Alerts