Public meeting Mabel

The latest conservation news, issues, or concerns in our backyard, city, state, or country.

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:45 am

Attended the public meeting for Catalpa farm's hog farrowing operation. The plan: 4,980 sows. 7 to 8.8 million gallons of manure produced a year. The facility would use in the range of 8 million gallons of ground water a year. The event was attended by, I would guess,three hundred people all but ten of which were opposed to the plan. MPCA really presented little info that was new. But that wasn't the point. The request is for a complete EIS. The proposal has already generated three hundred comments, MPCA rep said it was 100 times more of a response than any other proposal he's been involved with. I was impressed by the crowd, the quality of t-shirts, the information, the level of organization, and how pleasant and civil people were. Well worth the two hour drive, and the late night.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby brntrout » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 am

It should interesting to see what happens. Just because there is a request for an environmental impact statement doesn't mean it will happen and even if it does SOME HOW the outcome of "some" EIS reports miraculously end up supporting proposals that should be denied.

I know this full well as our group Olmsted County Concerned Citizens attended countless meeting at all levels and spend over $50,000 and 4 years fighting the proposed MinnErgy Ethanol plant that was proposed to be build in Eyota. In reality we would have lost because the bought off politically controlled MPCA jerks would have let them build the plant. Fortunately after 4 years of fighting the cost of building the plant became so high and government support funding for building ethanol plants was eliminated and that is the only reason we prevailed. During that time Governor Pawlenty was also pushing HARD ( basically telling the MPCA the plant will be built) for ethanol plants to be built in MN. The then head of the MPCA Brad Moore quite over this BS and went to work in the private sector.

So things are not always what they seem at the surface. Bottom line, BIG MONEY usually always gets there way, LETS HOPE THEY DON'T THIS TIME! :shock:
brntrout Offline

Postby jrs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 am

Appreciate you making the time and effort to attend WGH. I saw a couple news reports of the event and was impressed by the level of local opposition and organization. I didn't attend, but have submitted comments voicing my opposition.

Comment period is open until July 3. More info including email for submitting comments is at https://www.pca.state.mn.us/news/mpca-e ... ore-county

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby brntrout » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:27 am

jrs wrote:Appreciate you making the time and effort to attend WGH. I saw a couple news reports of the event and was impressed by the level of local opposition and organization. I didn't attend, but have submitted comments voicing my opposition.

Comment period is open until July 3. More info including email for submitting comments is at https://www.pca.state.mn.us/news/mpca-e ... ore-county

JRS, you convinced me to send a comment in as well expressing my opposition to the facility. Hopefully it helps, we will see? ;)
brntrout Offline

Postby jrs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 am

brntrout wrote:
jrs wrote:Appreciate you making the time and effort to attend WGH. I saw a couple news reports of the event and was impressed by the level of local opposition and organization. I didn't attend, but have submitted comments voicing my opposition.

JRS, you convinced me to send a comment in as well expressing my opposition to the facility. Hopefully it helps, we will see? ;)
Good to hear. The project is summarized at the link and there's an email address for comments. So just takes a minute or two to send an email stating that you are concerned and would like to see a EIS. It can't hurt and might help!

jrs Offline

Postby brntrout » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:40 pm

As I said, I already send my comments, it really doesn't take that long to do, and if others would do the same thing you never know it might make a difference. On the other hand if one does nothing that is just what you get, nothing done, to stop it potentially.
brntrout Offline

Postby jrs » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 am

More info re the recent public meeting ..

http://fillmorecountyjournal.com/citize ... re-county/

jrs Offline

Postby High Stick » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 am

http://www.kimt.com/content/news/Fillmo ... 77481.html

I see a gentleman in the foreground who used to post here frequently.
High Stick Offline

Postby brntrout » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:37 am

High Stick wrote:http://www.kimt.com/content/news/Fillmore-residents-push-for-Environmental-Impact-Study-487277481.html

I see a gentleman in the foreground who used to post here frequently.

He still does but very infrequently unless there is some environmental issues to discuss.

Lets hope an EIS is called for by MPCA. Even then it does not mean a permit will not be given to build the hog operation. At least Governor Dayton is not behind it, like Governor Tim Pawlenty was for pushing for ethanol plants to be built in Minnesota, at least i hope not?
brntrout Offline

Return to Conservation News & Action Alerts