WTB New flyrod set-up!

If you have something to sell, feel free to post here

Postby HookaBrook » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:59 am

Hey guys,
A couple weeks back, I was fishing until dark and left my flyrod in a parking lot after packing the rest of my gear in the car :cry: I never was able to track it down, so I'm looking to get another one, and thought I'd see if anyone on here had one for sale. I'm not exactly sure what I want, I had a 9' 5weight and I want something shorter is the only thing I'm sure of right now. I'd be open to any advice or opinions on what I should invest in! Thanks in advance!

Jamie 8-)
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."
HookaBrook Offline

Postby brntrout » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:28 pm

A 5wt rod is fine but it is over kill for trout IMO. I would go with either a 3wt or 4wt rod in 8' or 8'-6" if you want a shorter rod than 9'.
brntrout Offline

Postby HookaBrook » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Does nobody use rods even shorter than that? I was thinking of getting a 6'er for those tight corners, and trudging through thick brush. Seems like it may work out a little better on the smaller, more heavily covered areas....
"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process."
HookaBrook Offline

Postby corvus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I have a six and a half foot Pennington Trout Rod (Bamboo 4/5 Wt) that is my go to brookie stick. I like it, but it's a personal choice. I belive most would prefer something longer. I gave my son an inexpensive Cabella's 3wt. teamed up with the smallest Medalist they make and he loves it. At the price it's hard to beat...
Give a man a fly rod, a shotgun and a bird dog and he'll never be worth a damn.
corvus Offline

Postby Wiblor » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Yeah, I'm picking up a Cabela's 7'6" 3 wt just to test out the length/line weight. I currently use a 9' 4 wt, but wanted something a bit more delicate and which allowed for better casting on small streams.

Their 3 Forks rod isn't the best thing ever made, but is pretty decent, especially at the current sale price of $29.99. I picked up an 8wt in the same model this summer to use for pike, smallies, and hopefully steelhead, and it has really impressed me. Admittedly it casts better when overweighted 1 line weight..
Wiblor Offline

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:27 am

Most of my stream trout rods are between 6 and 7 feet long. Short rods have limitations, but I struggled in close quarters with longer rods, and because most of my fishing is in small streams running through the woods, the short rods are better for me. If I was fishing the more open pastures of the Driftless, I'd go longer, as I do on the Namekagon and on ponds and lakes.

HookaBrook, you're from Woodbury. Go next door to Bob Mitchell's and look at the "Driftless" model rods that Mike has there.

Who remembers when Bob and Jean Mitchell were in the fly shop? After considerable debate and discussion, Jean and I agreed that if a person was to limit himself to the smaller trout waters of the Driftless and Western Wisconsin, he could probably get by with as few as a dozen fly rods in varying lengths and weights.
Perry Offline

Postby HookaBrook » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:12 am

Where's Bob Mitchell's? Is that a store?
HookaBrook Offline

Postby Tharreld » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Perry wrote:Who remembers when Bob and Jean Mitchell were in the fly shop?

Bob Mitchell taught me how to tie flies. I was working second shift at the time (30 years ago). Bob offered an evening fly tying class. I called the shop to see if he had any day classes. He didn't have any day classes but he said he would give me private instruction for the same cost as the evening classes. Bob and Jean were good people.
"I'm not a Doctor, but I'll take a look"
Tharreld Offline

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Bob Mitchell's Fly Shop - Lake Elmo
Mike Alwin bought the shop from Bob and Jean some years ago.

http://www.bobmitchellsflyshop.com/
Perry Offline

Postby HookaBrook » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks, that's real close by!
HookaBrook Offline

Return to Classifieds