Looking to trade for or buy 7-9 wt rods

If you have something to sell, feel free to post here

Postby Wendy Berrell » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:08 am

Doing some inventory at home as my older kid is expanding his fishing sphere to include carp on the fly this year. I have a 7 wt, two 8 wts and one 9 wt. I think I need 1-2 more heavy rods.

Anyone have an 8 or 9 wt laying around that you are not using? Preference is that it's not a "nice" rod because I just need it for a thirteen year old kid to bang away in big river, lake and/or jungle settings.

I have several bamboo rods (just standard production rods though), a fiberglass Wunderod, Redington RS5/6 reel and all kinds of tying materials that could be traded (including upwards of 10,000 hooks). Also interested in reels/lines to pair with heavier rods.

Also just in case anyone is interested I have an amplifier that is worth ~$250 that I'd trade. My wife used it in a sound system in a dance studio.

I'd consider just buying a rod too, but look to trade first given that I have so much gear already.

Thanks for any consideration.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby Blackdog1101 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 am

I’ve got a 9wt Rio Gold line that I got as a demo when they first introduced the Gold lines. I’ve used it once aside from some lawn casting. If you’re interested I’ll send it to you.
Blackdog1101 Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 am

Blackdog:

Yes, interested in that line. Happy to pay or swap you something for it. Thanks for the offer.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby Blackdog1101 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:58 am

Wendy I’ll PM you.
Blackdog1101 Offline

Postby Blackdog1101 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:58 am

Wendy I’ll PM you.
Blackdog1101 Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:08 am

FYI re this matter and public service announcement. I bought a TFO Impact 9 wt for $119, on sale down from approx $350 range. Sierra Trading post. They have 10 wts listed too. Four piece heavy rod for my kid, which is what I wanted.

I was feeling a little guilty about buying yet another rod. But then I looked at the credit card statement and saw my wife got her hair done for $120 and that's like a quarterly expense; this is a lifetime tool for a dollar less.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:47 am

You are a wise man, Wendy, so I don't feel I need to tell you that although that argument is ironclad on this forum, perhaps not so much in the real world.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:13 pm

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:You are a wise man, Wendy, so I don't feel I need to tell you that although that argument is ironclad on this forum, perhaps not so much in the real world.

Well put. Years ago I once attempted to rationalize gear purchase by equating it to my wife's spending. She's an accountant, and her retort was to pull up a spreadsheet, which I did not know she had, and "review" what I had spent on fishing and beer the previous year down to the cent. Let's just say I haven't tried to use that one since.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Postby darklake » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 am

TFO5wt wrote:Years ago I once attempted to rationalize gear purchase by equating it to my wife's spending. She's an accountant, and her retort was to pull up a spreadsheet, which I did not know she had, and "review" what I had spent on fishing and beer the previous year down to the cent. Let's just say I haven't tried to use that one since.

This is hilarious! Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning. I keep track of the finances in our family and figured out years ago that it wasn't even close -- so I keep vewy vewy quiet about my wife's purchases, even when they drive me up a wall, like taking my hunting dog for a bath and a haircut, coming home smelling like chemicals with a bandanna around her neck (the dog, not the wife). A friend and I have laughed about writing a book, "The Outdoorsman's Guide to Domestic Negotiations," to be filled with all the things we've witnessed that one should NOT do, like buying a new bass boat without first telling your wife. That cost a friend of mine entire new living and dining room sets. :o
darklake Offline

Postby Wendy Berrell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am

Good counsel from you guys. Another case in point: my wife started the oven on fire to the point of having to call 911 (I was guiding my little kid nymphing while it happened). Long story short she ended up parlaying the loss of the oven into an initiative to buy all new kitchen appliances. Started out the bill was going to be around $3000. Okay, sounds good. Last night it bumped up to $5000. I asked about what benefit we would be getting for the extra $2K. This was somehow an indication that "I didn't trust her." HA!!! Wow. Basically the message was just don't ask questions! Buy your fly rods and don't ask questions. To be clear we are on fine terms; just a funny point of minor conflict.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Return to Classifieds