Kids and rod building

Postby darklake » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:47 am

I have a friend who will be working with about 30 high schoolers to help them build ice fishing rods (24 inch blanks). I'm looking for suggestions on how to hold the guides in place on the blank when you begin the wrap. I use thin strips of either electrical tape or masking tape until I get the wrap climbing the foot, but I think there may be issues for novices with that technique on such a thin blank. Any better ideas? Thanks.
darklake Offline

Postby mwinkels » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:39 am

rubber/latex/surgical tubing...once you get the foot of the guide wrapped you can cut the tubing loose
mwinkels Offline

Postby darklake » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Can you buy that tubing small enough to fit an ice fishing rod?
darklake Offline

Postby mwinkels » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:43 pm

mwinkels Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 am

tip top glue
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby darklake » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks for the tip mwinkels. I'll check around town and see if I can pick some tubing up locally. As for the tip top glue, that's an interesting idea. I suppose you just need to make sure you've got your guides lined up before the stuff dries. How would you make those last tiny adjustments when you are dealing with a hot guide?
darklake Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm

if you glue all of the guides on before wrapping they'll be plenty cool by the tie you start. A little dot does a lot. For the record i've never done it this way but its how they did it in a video i watched.
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Return to Rod Building & Bamboo