tiny mayflies

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
darklake

tiny mayflies

Post by darklake » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 pm

A friend took a photo of some timey black bodied mayflies that look a lot like tricos. If I knew how to post a photo I would (need help with that). Are there tricos that hatch in northern Minn in June??

brntrout

Re: tiny mayflies

Post by brntrout » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:46 pm

I doubt their Trico's I've never heard of it coming off anywhere this early let alone in northern Minnesota. There is a small mayfly species that came off on Trout Run a few years back that I've never seen before or since. I wish I could remember the name of that mayfly, it might be the one you are referring too! BTW how small in hook size is the fly?

darklake

Post by darklake » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 am

In the photo he sent I'd say they look like about #18. Yesterday I saw a bunch of similar spinners on a Bemidji area lake. They sure look like what trout fishermen would call tricos, but maybe they are one of the many species of mayflies that are around ---- and because they come off in warm water, instead of a trout stream, fishermen don't pay much attention to them. Although I'll bet the tulibee, whtefish, bluegills, etc are tuned into them. As an aside, the brown drakes have had a heavy hatch locally the past few days -- lots of spinners on the water. I haven't seen any hex yet, but with the forecast for warmer weather they'll be popping this week.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 am

darklake wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:10 am
In the photo he sent I'd say they look like about #18.
If the mayfly in the photo is a size 18 its unlikely the species is in the trico family. Even the larger trico's on large western streams like Big Mo' and the Bighorn River don't reach size 18 they are usually size 20.