Newbe

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
brntrout

Post by brntrout » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am

If you start tying, a very simple but extremely effective fly pattern is the flashback orange scud. I have literally caught thousands of trout on orange scuds all over the country. Also olive gray scuds can be good in some streams in SE MN. Just about all streams everywhere have scuds. Its the most reliable fish catching pattern you can tie IMO! Scuds are available year round where as other inverts are only occasionally available on a irregular bases. If you do decide to tie orange scuds make sure they are amber orange "WHEN WET, NOT WHEN DRY" as that is the most productive color by far. Orange scuds that turn red when wet are far less productive.

Regardless of what some anglers may tell you color is important, especially if your fishing over wary heavily fished brown trout in popular streams that still have decent hatches. The "most effective flies that match real natural bugs" have three things in common they are the right size, right shape and color of the natural.

However, when it comes to tying and fishing attractor fly patterns those three things are not usually necessary.

I hope some of this information helps you. Good Luck!

kketchmark

Post by kketchmark » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:33 am

Want to say thinks for all the useful info.
Keith

KhakiSam

Re:

Post by KhakiSam » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:08 am

WhiteGlovedHowdy wrote:Most folks on this board, when they start to tie flies, and begin to get proficient at it, usually send me a couple dozen Adams parachutes size 18. PM me for an address, and thanks. I'll get back to you with some feedback. Hope this helps. WGH.

HA! :)

BigJim2x

Post by BigJim2x » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:36 pm

I know I'm late to the game, if you've got started how's it coming? Has WhiteGloveHowdy got his Adams parachutes yet?

If you haven't left the spring board yet i'd say pick up one of those cheap Cabelas starter kits with portable vice, scissors, bobbin and whip and pick up materials as you go along. Most ot the tying goes on in some type of shop and would have any materials you would need on an immediate availability. Lots of guys use those little junker vises for years before moving up. When you do move up you may still be lost in a sea of good advise and desires but you would have some experience to make a judgement on what you want. The little starter vise may continue to have value as something to bring stream side to more accurately match the hatch as you progress. That's my two cents, but if you've already made the jump with some equipment, welcome to the addiction.

Jim

kketchmark

Re: Newbe

Post by kketchmark » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:26 pm

I picked up this vise. it seam to work good when I did my class.
Superior 1A Fly Tying Vise C-Clamp.

here are couple pictures of a couple I did. hope the pictures are ok.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:35 am

You're on your way! (Remember to pinch the barb). It's a way to spend none-fishing time, but beware, it's a slippery slope

High Stick

Post by High Stick » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:03 am

https://www.ginkandgasoline.com/gink-ga ... new-tyers/

Some good videos with flies I would categorize as essential to the Midwest.

Pinching the barb is very low on the must do scale when tying. Just remember to not crowd your head with materials so you have room to whip finish.

Good work so far.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:30 am

kketchmark, Those are decent flies, trout will have no problem eating them. The only thing to remember which High Stick already pointed out is try not to crowd the eye of the hook. BTW everybody does that starting out! I even do it on a few flies once in awhile if I have not been trying for quite some time!

GOOD LUCK!