Tying the Squirmy Wormy

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
brntrout

Tying the Squirmy Wormy

Post by brntrout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:39 am

Tying instructions for the Squirmy wormy.

https://midcurrent.com/videos/how-to-ti ... rmy-wormy/

jrs

Re: Tying the Squirmy Wormy

Post by jrs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:54 am

There are quite a few variations of the squirmy out there if you search YouTube.

I've been tying mine with a #10 TMC 200R hook, 3.3 or 3.8 mm gold tungsten bead, fire orange thread, and about 2" red squirmy. I pin the bead at about 1/3 shank with figure 8 thread wraps, tie in the squirmy above the barb, wrap the squirmy forward, secure with thread behind the bead, pull over the bead, secure with thread, then wrap forward and tie off at the eye.

I believe the elasticity of the squirmy makes for extra movement in the water. However, it's a bit of a pain to tie with as it tends to pull around the shank with thread pressure and you can also cut it with thread if you aren't careful (flatten the thread and don't use too much pressure). I'm also not sure about durability of the squimy vs. the more traditional vernille worm. Seems like mine get loose ends ripped off pretty easily.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:31 am

I noticed there are a lot of variations but then again what pattern doesn't have variations created from the original.

John, have you tried super glue to hold the worm body from twisting around the hook once the fly is completely tied?

Personally, I haven't tied or tried squirmy worms yet, but I did order materials today to tie them. I was also thinking about tying them with a TMC 200 R hook because i have a lot of them.

Since, the fly is probably going spin around in the water have you had much of a problem with your tippet twisting up when fishing this pattern, or isn't there a problem?

trouts

Post by trouts » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:04 am

Using just a drop of superglue to hold the worm material helps with ease of tying. Adding a dubbing base layer at the tying point also helped keep the squirmy material from moving around. Definitely not the easiest material to tie with, but not bad after you tie up a few. Be careful when using superglue. It will tear very easily right where it transitions from the dried glue and the flexible rubber. Same if you use to much thread pressure. A flat thread like UTC definitely helps with this pattern.

If tied as shown here I tended to get a lot of fouling and twisting on longer casts. Material would twist around the front of the hook and around the tippet towards the eye of the hook. I usually cut it off much shorter towards the eye and that seemed to help a lot. Leaving maybe about 1/4 to 3/8” material towards the front of the hook. If you are using a longer nymphing rod and making short casts essentially Czech nymphing it’s not as big of an issue. Very effective pattern after it rains.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:42 am

Thanks for the heads up on tying and fishing this pattern.

jrs

Post by jrs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Haven't tried super glue, but some cements (eg, Sally Hansen) will dissolve the squirmy material which makes for another tying and durability challenge.

I'm not sold yet on the squirmy material vs the vernille traditionally used for the San Juan Worm, but going to give it a further test. I do like the tungsten bead as the fly gets down without additional weight in most circumstances and I feel like I have more direct control and better strike detection.

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 pm

John, I'm surprised that you haven't tried tying the standard Vernille chenille worm with a tungsten bead yet. I do that lot when i'm fishing shallow water as extra weight is not needed then.

The only thing I hate about the standard Vernille Ultra Chenille worm is the ends of the worm hanging off both end of the hook usually tend to get wore out after a short time fishing, and both ends flop down making the worm look less worm like. I was hoping that would not be the case with the squirmy wormy material? Have you tried positioning the bead head right behind the hook eye? I ask because if you did, you would only have to tie the worm off in two places instead of three?

Sound like Super glue will work "IF" you are careful how you use it!

jrs

Post by jrs » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:06 pm

brntrout wrote:John, I'm surprised that you haven't tried tying the standard Vernille chenille worm with a tungsten bead yet. I do that lot when i'm fishing shallow water as extra weight is not needed then.

The only thing I hate about the standard Vernille Ultra Chenille worm is the ends of the worm hanging off both end of the hook usually tend to get wore out after a short time fishing, and both ends flop down making the worm look less worm like. I was hoping that would not be the case with the squirmy wormy material? Have you tried positioning the bead head right behind the hook eye? I ask because if you did, you would only have to tie the worm off in two places instead of three?

Sound like Super glue will work "IF" you are careful how you use it!
Yes, I've tried tungsten beads with vernille and I like them. As mentioned, the tungsten bead is frequently enough weight and control and strike detection are a little better without added shot.

I think the squirmy material has a little better action -- doesn't collapse like vernille. And, the Euro nymphing guys really seem to be sold on it. I need to try some different tying methods with the squirmy material for tying ease and durability.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:36 pm

I was just talking to my buddy in MT. He's been started using the squirmy worm on Mo' and has been killing it this winter/early spring.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Re:

Post by brntrout » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:12 pm

TFO5wt wrote:I was just talking to my buddy in MT. He's been started using the squirmy worm on Mo' and has been killing it this winter/early spring.
I guess, I'm going to find out how well this pattern works.

I just received my order today of squirmy wormy materials from Dakota Anglers & Outfitters. Talk about fast delivery, i ordered early Saturday morning and received my order today( Monday) at 2:00 PM. I have already tied up a few Squirmy Wormies, they are a pain to tie but not overly terrible. Now all I have to do is test them and see what the fish think? ;)

Added: here is the Dakota Anglers & Outfitters web site link: http://www.flyfishsd.com/