Flies for the Upcoming 2018 Season

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
brntrout

Flies for the Upcoming 2018 Season

Post by brntrout » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am

Just wondering what flies people are tying for the up coming 2018 season and what new patterns you will be tying this year?

jrs

Re: Flies for the Upcoming 2018 Season

Post by jrs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:16 pm

I tend to tie year round and "as needed" for my next fishing trip.

I tied a couple dozen Baetis nymphs (Skinny Nelsons) earlier this week so im kind of set for that hatch.

Thinking just a little ahead, Id like to get an emerger or low floating adult for the grey caddis hatch. I had good luck last year fishing a larger, more visible caddis dry trailed by a green / black caddis pupa. The dry wasn't a good imitation, but it was visible and took some of the more reckless fish. Anyone got a low floating adult or emerger for the grey caddis that they'd recommend? Was thinking along the lines of Lafontaine emergent sparkle pupa. Not sure whether such a fly should be dark gray (like adult) or green (like pupa)?

As for "new" flies for me ... I mentioned them in another thread, but I've caught lots of fish this year on Perdigon style flies. A #12 with 3mm tungsten bead, black mylar body and tail, orange thread hot spot and UV Resin coating has produced lots of fish so far this year.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

JRS

The natural gray caddis emerger has a charcoal gray body ( I use flyrite #15 for the dry fly& emerger) and medium dun gray wings. For the pupa shuck you can use antron sparkle yarn in medium olive gray. For the emerger I tie the old X caddis pattern which is basically just a body with a deer hair wing and antron sparkle yarn shuck in sizes 18 & 20.

JRS, I'm sure you know this but the gray caddis hatch is usually overlapped by at least 2 to 3 other caddis species depending on which stream your fishing.

In most years the gray caddis starts first followed soon after by the other species. In certain years with above average spring time temperatures ( 70's to 80 degrees) all three can begin at almost the same time. The other emerging caddis species are all size 16. In reality when anglers get excited about the gray caddis hatch it really ends up being 3 to 4 species they are going to have to deal with, not just the gray caddis. The gray caddis just happen to be the first species to emerge most of the time.

I like to post this information to help the beginner or novice anglers who may not have that much knowledge of the different hatches we have in SE MN. It may help them be successful sooner than later. Most of the old pro's really don't need much help as they are well seasoned and very knowledgeable of most invert hatches.