2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
jrs

Re: 2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Post by jrs » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 am

teach wrote: 1) Just confirming that we should mail our flies (to Randy's pm'd address) along with another self-addressed postage paid envelope, correct?
I mailed to the mailing address that Randy pm'ed to me. He confirmed that they arrived.
teach wrote: 2)Those of you who have done it in the past have you just used the bubble envelopes from the post office and put your flies in a ziploc bag or something?
I put my flies in an Altoid tin. This is the same container that your return flies will arrive in, so something that provides some protection for the flies, especially dry fly hackles, is helpful. Might be a good idea to label the container with your name too. I put the Altoid tin in a self-addressed, postage paid bubble wrap envelop. Then put that in a larger bubble wrap envelop addressed to Randy. Postage was $3 for the inner envelop and another $3 for the outer envelop.
teach wrote: 3) What is the best way to post pictures on this forum? I want to post my recipe/photo. I have tried a couple methods in other posts in the past but they seem rather clunky (saving the file to computer, adjusting size of pics, shrinking file size, etc.). Also it seems that sometimes I can't see others' pics (for example, at the time of this post, I can't see your Skinny Nelson picture you posted last week, jrs). I know there has been some discussion of this somewhere in the past, but wondering if anyone has settled on a reliable method? WFF, if you're reading this, I can always see your pics and they look good, what's your method?
Guess I'm not the best one to answer! But I use Google Photos to host the photo and then reference the photo via URL in an "img" tag. The problem I have is getting the right security / privacy settings on the photo in Google and getting the right URL so that the photo is visible elsewhere. Sometimes the photo is visible to me, but not others (as seems to be the case with the fly swap photo). I modified the Google Photo settings and URL this am, so hopefully the photo is visible now?
teach wrote: 4) Last call on trying the LTS get together...? Maybe I should just take the hint that it's not going to work for most... It's just that I love beer and have these empty Howlers...
We dd this 2 years ago. It was kind of fun to see people in person, but we didn't have a great turn out. It's pretty far to go for those that are in the twin cities metro area which I would guess is about half the group. I'd be willing if others are interested, but understand if they're not. Alternatively, maybe we could arrange an informal on-stream meet some time?

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 am

teach, did you get the PM I sent last week? Just want to make sure

1) Yes. If you don't include a self-addressed postage paid envelope, just make sure I've got your address. No problem

2) I've used bubble envelopes. Flies in a zip loc or small container of some sort like you'd get at a fly shop... whatever you come up with

3) The image needs to be stored on the web somewhere (lots of image sites) and linked within image code. When you post you click on the image icon and it will drop the brackets with code into the text block and you paste the link between {img}{/img} except that's with [ and not {

4) No formal LTS gathering but if there's a time when a handful of people can make it, that's awesome. Will defer that to those who have to drive from out of town to exchange flies - I'm flexible

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:55 pm

If the date/time works I'd be willing to drive down from Minneapolis. With that said, my wife is an accountant and being that its tax season, I'm on dad-duty a lot.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

teach

Post by teach » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:17 pm

I did get the pm Randy, just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction with the details with the envelope(s) - thanks for coordinating and your help!

I still can't see your fly swap pic on the other thread jrs, but maybe it's just me... I'll give my post a try in the next week or so - thanks for all the tips!

Maybe an on stream meet up would be good? Another option is the new brewery in Fountain called "Karst Brewery." I haven't stopped in yet, but I've been meaning to. Lots of good water within a short drive if people wanted to fish before or after a meet up - could be totally separate from the swap too, just an excuse to meet up.
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!

teach

Post by teach » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Sounds like my picture is not showing up in the other thread for my fly swap flies. I have edited my post with a link to my photo, if someone could try it and let me know if that link works, I would appreciate it. Also, still looking for specific input from those who seem to be able to consistently make posting a photo work... Thanks!
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!

jrs

Re:

Post by jrs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:24 pm

teach wrote:Sounds like my picture is not showing up in the other thread for my fly swap flies. I have edited my post with a link to my photo, if someone could try it and let me know if that link works, I would appreciate it. Also, still looking for specific input from those who seem to be able to consistently make posting a photo work... Thanks!
I'm at a loss on the photos. My photo shows up for me (both through Windows / Firefox and through Android / Tapatalk). However it apparently does not show up for other people. I've posted the same photo elsewhere (eg, Facebook) without any problems. I believe that has something to do with the Google Photos (hosting site for my photo) sharing / privacy options. I've tried several different URLs without success. I did just change the sharing options in Google Photos, so it might work now but I'm not real optimistic.

No other photos in the swap recipe thread are visible to me either. The link that "teach" posted does take me to a Google Photos page with a nice photo (nice looking flies BTW), but only the link shows in the forum.

I think all the photo hosting sites are getting more careful about privacy / sharing and that's making it maore difficult. I hear that PhotoBucket now restricts you from sharing photos on other sites at all. I believe WFF has his photos on his own web site, so he can avoid the privacy / sharing controls of a photo hosting site. I think last time around (2 years ago), Randy hosted all the photos on the mntroutforums.com site.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:42 pm

I can see your photo now
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

jrs

Post by jrs » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:53 pm

Since TFO says my photo is visible now, let me explain for Teach and anyone else using Google Photos to host their photos what I *think* you need to do to get your photo shared on this site ...

Open the photo in Google Photos.
Click the share icon (sideways "V")
Then click New Shared Album or Shared Album (if you already have an Shared Album)

Go back to the main Google Photos page
Click the Sharing icon
Find the Shared Album (where you just added the photo)
Open the Shared Album
Click More Options (3 vertical dots) and then Sharing Options and make sure Share is on

Open the photo from the Shared Album
Right click on the photo then click on View Image Info
Scroll through the URLs in the Address box to find a JPG URL for the image (ignore the Background and Icon URLs and the png and gif Image URLs).
Select a JPG URL, then right click and Copy.

Paste this URL into your message on mntroutforums (between the img tags).
When you preview the message, your photo should be displayed in the preview pane

teach

Re: 2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Post by teach » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:24 am

jrs wrote: Open the photo from the Shared Album
Right click on the photo then click on View Image Info
Thanks for the advice jrs! I see where you are going with this, but I don't have the "View Image Info" option above when I right click... I do have an "Inspect" option which pops up a whole bunch of code for the whole page and does give some urls, but it is all a different language to me and I can't seem to find and isolate the one I need. I'll keep trying though because I can see you Skinny Nelson''s now and they look great!

jrs

Post by jrs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:37 pm

Yeah, View Image Info is Firefox. I *think* right clicking on the photo and then "copy image address" (Chrome) or "copy image location" (Firefox) might work.

The key points are to get the photo in a Shared Album and then get a jpg url that you can paste.