2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Yeah go ahead! That sounds great.. then it's local and you're responsible for all non recuperable losses. :) Want to send us your address in private?

KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 pm

Yeah go ahead! That sounds great.. then it's local and you're responsible for all non recuperable losses. :) Want to send us your address in private?

teach

Post by teach » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 pm

I started and finished during my week off between Christmas and New Years - ended up doing an attractor nymph pattern - silver bead head, black thread body, wire wraps, black krystal flash tail, ice dub collar - think of an oversized zebra midge, but with a tail and a bushy collar - somebody probably has a name for them already - I was thinking of "Wire and Ice," probably because I finally got caught up on Game of Thrones that week too. I did one in a a red rib with a peacock ice dub collar and one with a pink rib and a black ice dub collar. The color variations are endless of course. They are pretty quick and simple, but I think they look pretty cool and most importantly, they work.

How's everyone else coming along? Are we still thinking of trying to make the LTS thing happen? I'd do it if schedule permits, busy with basketball this time of year.
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!

jrs

Re: 2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Post by jrs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

I've got two dozen flies ready. All the same and nothing fancy, but one of my top 3 fish producers.

I'm just waiting for the final participant list / count, swapmaster name and address, and any other final instructions.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 pm

Alright! Apologies for the delay - was waiting until after the holidays.

Here's our count:

teach- dreamcoat
Jrs - Skinny Nelson
Jay92 - TBD
TFO5wt- purple haze
teach- TBD nymph pattern
trouts- caddis pupa nymph
Troutchaser- Midge
Wendy Berrell-
WFF-
Yours Truly- TBD

Please have flies to me by January 24th so I can turn around before vacay. I'll send my email and address via PM

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 am

Mine are done as well. Tied two sizes, 14 and 18.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 am

Mine are done as well. Tied two sizes, 14 and 18.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

jrs

Post by jrs » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:57 pm

Randy wrote:Alright! Apologies for the delay - was waiting until after the holidays.

Here's our count:

teach- dreamcoat
Jrs - Skinny Nelson
Jay92 - TBD
TFO5wt- purple haze
teach- TBD nymph pattern
trouts- caddis pupa nymph
Troutchaser- Midge
Wendy Berrell-
WFF-
Yours Truly- TBD

Please have flies to me by January 24th so I can turn around before vacay. I'll send my email and address via PM
Thanks Randy.

Looks like you've got Teach double listed. But I also don't see KahkiSam. I hope he's still in.

Can / should we go ahead and post pictures and descriptions in this thread?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Ah yes, KhakiSam should be listed! Thanks.

I'll start a new thread for patterns.

teach

Post by teach » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Fly swap rookie questions here:

1) Just confirming that we should mail our flies (to Randy's pm'd address) along with another self-addressed postage paid envelope, correct?

2)Those of you who have done it in the past have you just used the bubble envelopes from the post office and put your flies in a ziploc bag or something?

3) What is the best way to post pictures on this forum? I want to post my recipe/photo. I have tried a couple methods in other posts in the past but they seem rather clunky (saving the file to computer, adjusting size of pics, shrinking file size, etc.). Also it seems that sometimes I can't see others' pics (for example, at the time of this post, I can't see your Skinny Nelson picture you posted last week, jrs). I know there has been some discussion of this somewhere in the past, but wondering if anyone has settled on a reliable method? WFF, if you're reading this, I can always see your pics and they look good, what's your method?

4) Last call on trying the LTS get together...? Maybe I should just take the hint that it's not going to work for most... It's just that I love beer and have these empty Howlers...
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!