2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
Troutchaser

Post by Troutchaser » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Count me in, and the January 26th date is better. Will probably tie a basic midge that can be used for winter fishing.

KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 am

So far we have 7!
Myself- dreamcoat
Jrs - Skinny Nelson
Jay92 - TBD
TFO5wt- purple haze
teach- TBD nymph pattern
trouts- caddis pupa nymph
Troutchaser- Midge

So far, looks like a great variety of winter and early spring patterns, along with the wildcard of a purple haze for a great attractor as fish start to look up around 12-2 when the temps rise enough.

Three more spots open.. I'm hoping Brntrout offers us a trout run special and Winonarich comes through with his best wetfly pattern! :D :D

winonaflyfactory

Re: 2017 Holiday Fly Swap

Post by winonaflyfactory » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:17 am

I’ll put my name in. And I believe (but probably should confirm) that Wendy Berrell will be in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wendy Berrell

Post by Wendy Berrell » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:57 am

Yes, I'm in. Honoring Yvon Chouinard's year-of-soft-hackle-only I may do a Wilted Spinach. Or if I want to challenge myself to learn how to do better hair wings I could tie a compradun. Will decide at some point.

Last year we got some guys together at LTS to receive flies and have some beer. I'm in favor of a repeat on that one too.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm

An LTS gathering would be cool.

Are we tying 1 or 2 flies? Last time we did one, but I believe 2 was mentioned for this swap at one point.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

trouts

Post by trouts » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:35 pm

I was also wondering if we are tying 2 flies if everyone wanted 2 of the exact same thing? I was assuming we were tying 2 flies for each participant, but was wanting to tie up 1 of two different patterns. Doesn’t matter to me, but wanted to see what everyone else thought.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Hey, thanks for throwing this together! I’ll join in too if you’ve still got a spot. Are you running as the point man on this KhakiSam?

jay92

Post by jay92 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:31 am

Yes, the original instructions called for two flies from each participant. I wouldn't think it would matter if you wanted to do both the same, or two different. I was thinking of doing a yellow season (May/June) caddis pupa that I tie with two different body materials.

KhakiSam

Post by KhakiSam » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:24 pm

^^Yeah I agree with that.. I've started tying already and I'm just doing two of the same fly. My thinking was then you'd be able to try out the pattern with a little wiggle room (as opposed to losing it right away in a tree or rock). That said, I think all of us are pretty flexible.. so either way you want to do it is fine!

@WinonahFly
@WendyBerrell
and
@Randy --with these folks jumping on board, that means we have reached 10.

And Randy, yeah I guess I am taking the lead. I just wanted to get it going again and join in this time. I might be able to make it down for a gathering (I live in mpls, and if I'm going to drive down there, it's usually to fish!)

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:21 pm

I don’t mind taking the lead on it if you want me too but you did great on point already. Just let me know where your comfort level is. Fine either way.