March Browns

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
mcktrout

March Browns

Post by mcktrout » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 pm

I fished March Browns (MBs) for the first time ever last week, but only one hook up and dozens of refusals.

First, not even sure MBs were hatching. A size 14 mayfly, sparse, slower shady water, afternoon. I tried a size 14 BWO, no action at all. If not BWO, then what?

Second, I adapted an old Orvis standard MB recipe to a parachute (poly wood duck upwing w/ natural wood duck on sides of upwing). Not sure it was a good local pattern - refusals say it was not? Fish traveled far to chase it, but splashy refusal at last second.

Anyone else seeing MBs?

Anyone have a proven pattern for MBs?

jrs

Re: March Browns

Post by jrs » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 pm

I think the MBs are done in our area. I saw quite a few a week or two ago, but none in the last week. We did see some smaller mayflies hatching sparsely this week that I *think* may have been Pale Evening Duns.

The MBs are quite large (#10), tan / brown but very speckled including the wings. They seemed to hatch sparsely throughout the day but I've heard they were more intense in the evening.

When they were around, I did fairly well with a #10 tan body, brown hackle, hair wing dun. BTW, the same fly worked pretty well on the remanents​ of the Brown Drake hatch this week (even though the naturals were more like #6 or #8).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Re: March Browns

Post by brntrout » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:39 am

mcktrout wrote:I fished March Browns (MBs) for the first time ever last week, but only one hook up and dozens of refusals.

First, not even sure MBs were hatching. A size 14 mayfly, sparse, slower shady water, afternoon. I tried a size 14 BWO, no action at all. If not BWO, then what?

Second, I adapted an old Orvis standard MB recipe to a parachute (poly wood duck upwing w/ natural wood duck on sides of upwing). Not sure it was a good local pattern - refusals say it was not? Fish traveled far to chase it, but splashy refusal at last second.

Anyone else seeing MBs?

Anyone have a proven pattern for MBs?
You probably ran into the tail end of the Light Hendrickson hatch. I don't call them Pale Evening Duns because they normally start emerging from approximately 11:00 am to 2:00 pm most of the time. The species you seen is more than likely either Ephemerella rotunda or invaria However, in our area in streams that still have them, they can over lap during their emergence period. The rotunda dun is a measured size 14 and the invaria is a size 16. The thing to keep in mind regarding these two species is the fact trout only see the part of their abdomen/body that actually touches the water. Since the rotunda has a more up swept abdomen near its tail the trout real only see a fly that is size 16 so basically a size 16 dry fly works best for both species.

I ran into the same hatch about a week ago myself, but I had much better luck fishing a emerging LH nymph pattern than a dry fly hat matches this hatch.

As JRS mentioned March Browns are "much" larger, generally a size 10 so its really not that hard to figure out what fly is what once you know all the mayfly species that hatch in our area.

Really the only mayflies that can be larger than March Browns in our area (SE MN) are, Brown Drakes and some species of isonychia

mcktrout

Post by mcktrout » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Great info ... Thanks!