Root River Rod Co. Fly Shop

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
brntrout

Root River Rod Co. Fly Shop

Post by brntrout » Sat May 13, 2017 7:56 am

Has anyone checked out the "NEW" Root River Rod Co./Fly Shop in Lanesboro yet?

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Sun May 14, 2017 9:44 am

I haven't been down there much since Vince left the Parkway but will try to check it out soon.

jay92

Post by jay92 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 am

Checked it out yesterday with JRS. For a new venture, it was pretty well stocked. Better fly tying selection than I expected to see in a new shop. Owner seems like a nice enough sort. Hope he does well

jrs

Re: Root River Rod Co. Fly Shop

Post by jrs » Thu May 18, 2017 7:55 pm

jay92 wrote:Checked it out yesterday with JRS. For a new venture, it was pretty well stocked. Better fly tying selection than I expected to see in a new shop. Owner seems like a nice enough sort. Hope he does well
Ditto Jay's comments. He's open pretty much normal business hours including weekdays. Had a pretty good trout fly selection including some local tied flies. Also does bamboo rod building. Bamboo rods aren't my cup of tea, but the bundle of whole bamboo canes he had in the shop was impressive.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am

Thanks for the update guys.

I have not had a chance to check out the new shop myself, but a buddy of mine did, he thought it was a nice shop.

I'm with JRS on cane rods. They are beautiful, but, IMO are heavy and the rod action is always way to slow for my taste.

teach

Re: Root River Rod Co. Fly Shop

Post by teach » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:02 pm

Just wanted to give this thread a bump as I stopped in there a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised by the amount of gear and supplies, not to mention the great conversation. I hope people support it and he can stick around!
Last edited by teach on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.flowstonefishing.com - Spinning lures handcrafted right here in the Minnesota Driftless!

digitalflaunt

Post by digitalflaunt » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:43 am

I had the opportunity to partake in an 'Intro' class that the shop put on a couple weeks ago and it was worthwhile. I think it is great to have a shop like this in Lanesboro and the owner (Steve) and his staff were very accommodating and friendly when I visited. I agree w/the above comments; the shop is well stocked and has many products to offer a local angler. I told Steve about this forum and emailed him the link since I thought he might enjoy the comradery here and he seemed interested. I will certainly visit his shop/staff again in the future:

https://www.rootriverrodco.com/events-and-classes

Cheers, Jesse