Flies for Ice Fishing

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.
Randy
Site Admin

Flies for Ice Fishing

Post by Randy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 am

I'm headed up to the Battle Lake area next weekend to do some ice fishing, and on lakes with a wide variety of species, and I rarely if ever ice fish. I'm curious if anyone ties up a few staple flies for "warm water" species fished under ice.

TFO5wt

Post by TFO5wt » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:55 am

While I haven't ice fished in at least 5 years, I did have luck using a size 12ish pink squirrel tipped with a waxie for crappies and bluegills.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun

brntrout

Post by brntrout » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:46 pm

A "simple" fly that has worked for me during the summer, fall, or during the winter ice fishing season is a fly my son came up with when he was first learning to tie flies. He called it "Mr Pinky". The fly is nothing more than medium size hot pink chenille tied on a hook with a dozen or so strands of Pearl Krystal Flash for a tail. You can tie the fly on any size hook you want. Smaller sizes work better for pan fish. I normally add weight to the fly with lead fuse wire, or you could use non lead weight as well. I usually built up the body a little so it is some what fatter. I suppose you could add a heavy beadhead to the fly as well if you like. In the summer you cast the fly to cover and slowly twitch/strip it back to you using a fly rod. When Ice fishing, you fish it the same way, except your more or less jigging the fly through the ice. I'm sure adding a wax worm may improve success as well. This pattern works for catching most warm water species of pan `fish and can catch smallmouth & Largemouth bass as well if tied in larger sizes I'm sure experimenting with other colors would work as well.

ADDED: I forgot to mention I have also used a weighted Pink Squirrel in a slightly larger size hook (#10 3769 TMC hook) than what is normally used for trout with good success. My business partner who is an Ice fishing fanatic has used pink squirrels successfully as well. So that just verifies what TFO said about using Pink Squirrels for Ice fishing.

Mister Bubble

Post by Mister Bubble » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:33 pm

You can get 1/64th and 1/80th ounce jig heads in 25 packs at ffarm or other tackle shops.

Randy
Site Admin

Post by Randy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:21 pm

That's a good idea, Mr. Buble', I'll check those out

Blackdog1101

Post by Blackdog1101 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I’ve crushed crappies on prince nymphs tied on 1/80 jigs. I always have some in my ice fishing box.