Newbe

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.

Postby kketchmark » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:24 am

Going to get started tying this winter. Going to take a beginner class first and go from there. Any suggestions for what to purchase for supply's and recommendations? Looking for something that will do the job well and not break the bank.

Thanks Keith
kketchmark Offline

Postby Troutchaser » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:21 pm

Not sure what part of the Twin CIties you are in, but Laughing Trout offers Wednesday night tutorials for beginners and tie-alongs for beyond-basics patterns. Cost is Zero. Meetings are held at the American Legion in Wayzata. Another option is St. Paul Fly Tiers, meeting weekly in Maplewood. Plus Rob Kress is offering a beginners' class in Minnetonka. All would have suggestions for supplies and equipment.. PM me for more info.
Troutchaser Offline

Postby trouts » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Mend provisions has classes he does. Usually post them on his Facebook page. Bob Mitchell's has open tying night 2 times a month. I'm sure most guys would be willing to give pointers and advice.

I think the Griffin Superior 2A fine point is the best vice for the money. Go to a shop and one of these tying events and I'm sure others will let you check out their vice. As far as materials it really depends on what you plan on tying.
trouts Offline

Postby kketchmark » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 am

I was going to signup for the Bob Mitchell's Intro to Fly Tying Nov 13th. Then attend a few of there HOPS AND HOPPERS on Tuesday nights this winter. Still looking for info about tools? I Will chat with the fly shop during tying, but nice to hear users options.
kketchmark Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:04 am

You will need 1) a vice 2) a bobbin and 3) scissors. I’d suggest the base-level Regal clamp vice. It’s really user friendly with no adjustments needed for different hooks sizes.

Get some hooks and tungsten beads. 100 packs here are a great deal: http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com Start with pheasant tail and hare’s ears and go from there. Remember ugly bugs still catch fish.

One last piece of advice, don’t change one color or material on a pattern, call it something else and post pix all over social media. Everyone knows what a prince nymph is, we don’t need the super dope purple prince.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Postby kketchmark » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:43 am

This vise is your suggestion? http://regalvise.com/inex.html
kketchmark Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:58 am

Yes.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Postby jay92 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:19 am

There are tons of different tools out there. Take the class. Go to a few of the lie and ties, and see what people use, and how they use them. Once you have a better grasp on what you will tie, and in what sizes, you will better be able to differentiate which tools are really useful, and which are toys. Welcome to the disease.
jay92 Offline

Postby WhiteGlovedHowdy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Most folks on this board, when they start to tie flies, and begin to get proficient at it, usually send me a couple dozen Adams parachutes size 18. PM me for an address, and thanks. I'll get back to you with some feedback. Hope this helps. WGH.
WhiteGlovedHowdy Offline

Postby High Stick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:45 am

High Stick Offline

Next

Return to Fly Tying & Entomology