Tying the Squirmy Wormy

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.

Postby jrs » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:46 pm

trouts wrote:Using just a drop of superglue to hold the worm material helps with ease of tying. Adding a dubbing base layer at the tying point also helped keep the squirmy material from moving around. Definitely not the easiest material to tie with, but not bad after you tie up a few. Be careful when using superglue. It will tear very easily right where it transitions from the dried glue and the flexible rubber. Same if you use to much thread pressure. A flat thread like UTC definitely helps with this pattern.

If tied as shown here I tended to get a lot of fouling and twisting on longer casts. Material would twist around the front of the hook and around the tippet towards the eye of the hook. I usually cut it off much shorter towards the eye and that seemed to help a lot. Leaving maybe about 1/4 to 3/8” material towards the front of the hook. If you are using a longer nymphing rod and making short casts essentially Czech nymphing it’s not as big of an issue. Very effective pattern after it rains.

I tied a few more last night with trouts suggestion which were helpful. Spinning the UTC thread to flatten it out worked well as did adding a dubbing base before tying on the squirmy material. I also shortened up the front extension.
jrs Offline

Postby darklake » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:08 am

For SE Minn, how long do you recommend the worm should be?
darklake Offline

Postby jrs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:50 am

darklake wrote:For SE Minn, how long do you recommend the worm should be?
I make them about 2" long. The material I have comes in about 4" pieces which I clip in half. Same with San Juan worms.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby trouts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:53 am

I tied most around 2”. Better to make them a bit longer than you think you might need since it is much easier to make them shorter streamside. Much longer than 2” and I felt they were going to foul every cast.
trouts Offline

Postby mjewen » Fri May 25, 2018 10:18 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9IEdHpa6U0

A very effective way to tie the Squirmy Wormy.
mjewen Offline

Postby brntrout » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:05 am

I just learned one very important thing about squirmy worms, do not carry them in a clear storage box that you leave sitting in sunlight. If you do the squirmy material literally melts right off the hook.I just had about a dozen and a half flies fall a part making them totally unfishable.
brntrout Offline

Previous

Return to Fly Tying & Entomology