Mop Flies?

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.

Postby Blackdog1101 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 pm

I keep reading about Mop Flies. Has anyone tried fishing them? They don’t seem to imitate anything I know if, yet are supposed to be the hot ticket. Have you tried them?Image
Blackdog1101 Offline

Postby jrs » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 pm

I've tied and fished them. They aren't a miracle or magic fly IMO, but they work reasonably well as a general attractor nymph (usually with something more natural, hatch specific trailed behind).

In the cream / tan color, they look a bit like a crane fly -- which are somewhat under-appreciated. But not sure about the blue, orange, and chartreuse ones.

They are quick and easy to tie and cheap if you get some material at your dollar store.

Seem like they might be good pan fish flies too.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
jrs Offline

Postby S.T.Fanatic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:01 am

Hatchery pellet larva?
“What more delightful avocation than to take a piece of land and by cautious experimentation to prove how it works. What more substantial service to conservation than to practice it on one's own land?” Aldo Leopold
S.T.Fanatic Offline

Location: I live where dipshit says I do every chance he gets.

Postby Wendy Berrell » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:52 pm

When the mop piece saturates, it makes for a really nice sink rate when tied on a lighter hook and smaller DB eyes. This has become a go-to pattern in carp fishing. Especially fish that are stationary or "sleeping" - you can sink it tantalizingly on their faces; they eat it really well. And it's literally a 1-2 minute tie.

Have not tried for trout. Agree re cranefly possibility though.
Wendy Berrell Offline

Return to Fly Tying & Entomology