2018 Fly Swap Recipes

Information and tips for tyers, as well as information on hatches.

Postby Randy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:08 pm

2018 Fly Swap participants, please post photos, recipes from this year's fly swap below
Randy Offline

Site Admin

Postby jrs » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:25 am

A Baetis nymph is one of the most useful flies in SE MN. You can find Baetis hatching from late February into June and again from September through November and you can find Baetis nymphs on the rocks almost anytime time of the year.

There are lots of good Baetis nymphs. I believe that a thin, dark nymph is best for Baetis in our area. Charlie Craven’s Juju Baetis, Andy Roth’s Kinni Nymph, Ross Mueller’s One-Biot Nymph and Tom Dornack’s Simple Killer Baetis are all very good Baetis nymphs and have worked for me. But the Baetis nymph that I still have the most confidence in and experience with is the Skinny Nelson.

I fish this fly as a trailer behind a larger nymph such as an Orange Scud or Pink Squirrel during a large part of the year. I normally tie it without a bead or other extra weight and rely on the heavy lead fly and / or a split shot to get it down. I fish it in traditional nymph fashion – ie, casting up or up and across and dead drifting back. When Baetis are actively emerging a few twitches or a lift once the fly is deep can induce strikes.

It’s a pretty straightforward, standard nymph tie and there are recipes and detailed tying instructions on Charlie’s Fly Box and elsewhere on the web, so let me just give you the recipe for how I tie it. Remember to keep it sparse and thin.
Hook: #18 TMC 3769 (or equivalent)
Thread: black 6/0 or 8/0
Tail: brown speckled hen fibers (or similar)
Abdomen: thread with fine copper wire rib
Wingcase: Lagartun flat mini braid, pearl
Thorax: mix of black synthetic and Peacock Black Ice Dub
Last edited by jrs on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrs Offline

Postby teach » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:28 pm

I am a relatively new tyer (2-3 years) who loves tying flies and some day I will have lots of time to try and perfect all kinds of different patterns, but for now I mostly tie flies that are quick, easily replaceable, and effective. Usually nymphs. The flies I tied for the swap reflect this criteria. They are general attractor patterns without a name to my knowledge - "Wire and Ice" nymph was my witty idea based on the materials. (I first tied the red one as a shortcut to a quicker Higa's S.O.S., and the foundation is just an oversized zebra midge). They are tied with materials that even a novice or occasional tyer should have on hand and basic techniques that a beginner needs to learn right away. Also, these materials are all available in a wide variety of colors that can be mixed and matched to your (or the trout's) preference. You will get a red/peacock version and a pink/black version. Nothing fancy, but I hope they serve you well.

One final note, I tied these on hooks from a fairly new company called "Firehole Outdoors." They are a small business that design, import, and sell only barbless, "competition-style" hooks and sell them at a very reasonable price ($10 for 50 hooks). I'm not going to stand on a barbless soapbox, but I have begun switching many of my new ties over and haven't regretted it. Many of their hooks have a 2x hook gap (including the 633 I used) which I really like.

Wire and Ice Nymph

Hook: Firehole 633, size 14
Bead: Allen Tungsten, 2.8 mm, silver
Thread: UTC 70 denier, black
Tail: 6-8 strands black Krystal Flash
Rib: Medium Ultra Wire in desired color; I used red and pink (smaller sizes work too, I like med. for texture over the thread body)
Thorax: Ice Dub in desired color; I used "peacock" with the red wire and "black peacock" with the pink

Very standard tie: Bead on hook, tie in KF tail (I like to trim each fiber individually to give more natural look), tie in wire, build tapered abdomen with thread, 4-5 rib wraps, bushy ice dub collar, whip finish.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Kbzt1UbFf5cFDwhW2 (try this link if the photo below cannot be seen)

Last edited by teach on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
teach Offline

Postby TFO5wt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 am

Purple Haze
I was first introduced to this bug on the Upper Clark Fork in 05 or 06. At that point, it hadn't really made its way out of the Bitterroot Valley. I was quite skeptical of a purple dry fly, but it brought fish up top the entire day when nothing in particular was hatching. I've included two sizes, 14 and an 18 (tied on a 16 emerger hook). Both have been solid searching/attracting patterns for me. On certain days, they really get fish looking up. The little guy is also great in spring and again in the fall when baetis are around. The 14 works well for Dark Hendricksons (if you can find them). This is my dry fly of choice most of the time in a dry dropper set-up which I fish quite a bit.

Material/Tying Notes
As mentioned above, I use emerger hooks for smaller flies, in this case Dairiki 125s. The body ends up being the same size a dry fly hook a size smaller, but the wider gap helps on hook up ratio. I've experimented with a bunch of different body materials, and I find Senyo's Laser Dub works the best. It's got a bit of flash, and you can get a very small amount tightly on the thread which is key for tying dries without them getting too bulky. I use EP Fibers for the post. I've got a bunch and they shed water when greased better than other materials. A little saliva helps keep them under control when tying in post. When wrapping hackle around post, I use a small dap of zap a gap on the post. This really helps secure the hackle. I also whip finish on the post under the hackle. The glue helps secure the whip.

Materials
Hooks: Standard Dry and Emerger Hooks (for sizes 16 and under)
Tail: Moose Tail
Body: Senyo's Laser Dubbing
Hackle: Grizzly

Recipe
Pretty standard parachute dry fly.

1. Tie in tail
2. Tie in post then tie in hackle onto post
3. With a thin bit of dubbing, starting at tail wrap forward, building up the body as you work towards hook eye. Wrap to hook eye, then back to post
4. Apply small bead of zap a gap on post, then wrap hackle down post.
5. Tie off hackle and clip.
6. Whip finish under post

When fishing, I grease only the post then use dust floatant stuff on the hackle and body. I'm not able to see anyone pictures above so I haven't included one. Plenty of pix online of the Purple Haze.
Simply put, people fish because it's fun
TFO5wt Offline

Return to Fly Tying & Entomology